Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:43 pm 

Hi Guys:

It's been 12-13 years since my H2 has been apart and I'm going to install some race-ported cylinders, new carbs, etc. this winter. I'll probably redo the crank as well. This is a '74 - does it use slotted rods? That's my best recollection and I want to keep running the oil pump but need to check. Damon rebuilt the crank and I'm pretty sure reused the original connecting rods. Can I keep using them? Is anyone experiencing failures lately? This will probably be a 125 hp engine.

Also, what is everyone doing for crank seals these day? I started poking around on evilbay and saw some seal kits from Norway. How do I get back up-to-speed on who's doing what for these bikes now?

Thanks for everyone's advice, ideas and opinions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Damon built 100's of cranks through the years, many still in use. But a lot were built to a price, with not the top of the line bearings, I have used these in roadracing with no failures. So it really depends on if you will be drag racing a lot. You should have slotted rods, but there are a couple of aftermarket heavy duty rods out there, so again, depends on usage. There are a lot of places that sell seals here in the states also. I had a new rubber inner seal fail and the crank was shot, as it had a rebuild before. So I exclusively use the lab seals since they came out years ago. Use the pump. There is a list of vendors here on the board, take a look through them for what is available.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 pm 

Damon was a friend of mine and I bought his crankshaft tooling a couple of years prior to his passing. He may have been using lab seals back then. If so, and the bike has been protected from the weather and stored properly, you might be ok. If you don't see any rust on or about the crank, it is probably ok. Also look at the pistons for any signs of detonation. Detonation will quickly kill the big end of the rod.

Here are some links to my services if you need them.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2406

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7593

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:59 pm 

Frank,
can I offer a suggestion based on my own experience. Others will also agree, when these 2 strokes are pumped up to be super high HP you will almost not be able to pull away from a stop light or stop sign without bringing the tach up to about 2500rpm and slipping the dog crap out of the clutch. Then once the bike gets moving its a real dog until you get up into the power band. They aren't very fun to ride at all on the street.

The fix is to spend another 400 bucks and put reeds into it. The reeds will completely change the bike and it will be streetable again. I had a 90HP Denco cobra H1 and it was the most disappointing project I ever finished.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:08 am 

Frank

I just installed my "Charlie" crank in my H2B........I got new better IMS Rod's, better KOYO bearings, LAB seals (to each their own).......don't skimp on the crank, It deserves the best.......about $760 if I recall......and Charlie is a great guy and pretty quick as well :!:

THX Phil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:13 am 

Thanks guys. I've been thinking about reeds for awhile, maybe this is the time...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:39 am 

MadKaw wrote:
Frank,
can I offer a suggestion based on my own experience. Others will also agree, when these 2 strokes are pumped up to be super high HP you will almost not be able to pull away from a stop light or stop sign without bringing the tach up to about 2500rpm and slipping the dog crap out of the clutch. Then once the bike gets moving its a real dog until you get up into the power band. They aren't very fun to ride at all on the street.

The fix is to spend another 400 bucks and put reeds into it. The reeds will completely change the bike and it will be streetable again. I had a 90HP Denco cobra H1 and it was the most disappointing project I ever finished.

Agreed, my heavily ported 500 pulls like it has an extra 250cc's down low, it's a real pleasure to cruise around town with but yet she goes like stink on the pipe... I get the best of both worlds. :)

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:49 pm 

I think the 3 most beneficial additions to the triple world are:

John's reeds
Ned's hydraulic clutch
Jim's electronics

I have all three

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Jan! I would add the EX caliper conversion also....... :thumbup: