Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:37 am 

I've read the Jetting Thread and Dale's spreadsheet many times for reference. I am still having trouble finding that "magic" setting. Does the 2.5 jump in Main Jet sizing, cover the 5 clip settings on the Needle? If I'm on clip position 1 with 100's, would the next setting be 97.5's, clip position 5? I'm thinking that's way lean when I read what others are running. Local friends suggest starting with 102.5's or even 105's and tweak down from there and those sizes seem to be in the range most here are using. I've read to start rich, adjust to lean. I do use Sunoco 100 octane regularly at the pump, as it is down the block from the house.

H1 F @ Sea Level
Spec II Chambers, Air box (snorkel removed)
100 Mains
5DJ19-1 Needles
35 Pilots 3/4 out

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Unless things are way off, your main jet controls 3/4 to full throttle, the needle/needle jet controls about 1/4 to 3/4. So I'm not sure what you are trying to say....... :eh:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:58 am 

This will help: http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/carbtune/carbtune.htm

A couple pages into it, there is a graphic explanation of where in the throttle range each carburetor circuit is effective. If you read the whole thing, jetting should make sense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:48 pm 

I've read that section in the manual several times as well, thanks Jim. I'm familiar with the throttle circuit ranges and which jet controls them, thanks to mraxl's resource pages here. I just don't understand why my bike wants me to go leaner, when I'm already at the lean end, compared to what most here are running. Maybe other areas need attention as Moo questioned.

My main interest/question was with the needle clip settings. Since the main jet sizes change in 2.5 increments, I was just wondering if that is why the needle has five positions, being .5 per clip movement? I wondered if with 100 mains and the needle clip on position one, the next leaner setting would be a 97.5 main, with the needle clip on position five. Is that correct? Don't mean to be a dumbbell. Just scary being so lean compared to the pack.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:53 pm 

The needle and needle jet combination controls a different part of the throttle position range than the main jet controls. That's why I suggested you look at the diagrams that show this. So no, you can't go up one main jet size and drop the needle all the way, and be back near where you were. That would make the wide open mixture a little richer and the middle throttle mixture a lot leaner.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect your problem is that you started trying to tune in the middle of the process instead of at the beginning.
By using #35 pilots and setting airscrew at 3/4 you are setting the pilot circuit very rich. The pilot fuel flow is constant even at higher throttle settings.
I'd suggest you put #30 pilots in along with 102.5 mains, set the clip in #4, time it to 25deg, and start all over following each step in the manual one at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:37 pm 

The needle does not fine tune the main jet. They are different circuits. The clip positions have no relation to the main jet size. If your needle jet or needle are worn you may have to lower the needle more. What needle jets are in your carbs? Also what carbs are you running? To try and simplify an explanation, think of a tube with a main jet in one end and the tapered needle in the other. We will say the needle closes off all flow when all the way down and it is a constant taper. We will also say the needle is lifted by the clip. As you start to raise the needle fuel will start to flow. The higher the needle is raised the more fuel will flow. Around 3/4 of the way up the needle no longer is restricting the flow, it is all on the main jet. Adjusting the clip position on the needle only changes the relative flow at any specific lift point up to 3/4 of the lift range. After 3/4 the only restriction is the main jet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

I think he is just trying to find a comparison, not a direct comparison. With the needle, you just have to move them up and down to find what notch runs best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:48 pm 

Jim wrote:
That's why I suggested you look at the diagrams that show this.
mraxl wrote:
I'd suggest you put #30 pilots in along with 102.5 mains, set the clip in #4, time it to 25deg, and start all over following each step in the manual one at a time.

The graph explained a lot. The replies did as well. Thanks men. :thumbup:
When I first logged on here, I was leery of the free advice. With confidence, I now come looking for suggestions.
I read the carb tune manual, start to finish, yet again. Probably not the last time either Jim.
Drove to Kawasaki and grabbed 30's, 102.5's and a fresh set of B9HS. I'll start at the top this time mraxl. :oops:
falcon, FYI : Mikuni VM28SC, 5DJ19 needles (Mikuni) and thanks for the explanation. Moo too!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Hope you get it sorted :thumbup:
Keep in mind that 102.5 is a guess and it may be slightly small. It is best to start big and work your way down on main jet size.

1- set timing
2- get slide cables adjusted for accurate slide position (sync)
3- adjust air screw for best mixture
4- set idle screw sync
5- set needle clip for best position
6- reduce main for best WOT response, then go up one size