Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:43 pm 

Just for the record, I have never noticed clean DOT5, put into a clean system, to be spongy. Liquid is not compressible, so to be spongy it has to somehow entrain gas bubbles. Maybe if a system is not cleaned out from glycol based fluid (3,4,5.1) completely before filling with DOT5, the resulting foamy goo can trap air bubbles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Like I said... some report spongy feel. I've never tried it so I personally don't know. I do know that if I had a clean system it would be DOT5 for me to try first.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:52 pm 

There is one other combination of fluid and paint that get along: Any brake fluid and DuPont Imron. Probably any good 2-part polyurethane paint, but Imron for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:12 am 

I have Dot 5 in my S3. ;) Not spongy, but I've felt firmer. Probably due to original lines... :think:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:15 pm 

Well, I guess I got you guys going anyway

I am going to rebuild everything, new seals, rebuild MC, new braided brake line, maybe I will give the DOT 5 a try.

Jim, my first H2 was painted with Imron (silver frame), looked good, tough stuff......my new one is powder coated black (they could not answer epoxy or urethane), seems tough as nails, still paint though.......the tank will be Acrylic.

Thank You All

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:47 pm 

I got my system built, kept the Caliper on the left side as stock (get the proper caliper.......boomerang bracket at the bottom, large piston towards the front of the bike......most are right side calipers on flea bay)........got the MOO bracket plate from Jim (THX Jim !)........took Mikes advise and got a KE 100 speedo motion pro cable( it is 36") from Dennis Kirk (19-6642....$13).......used the EX master cylinder........got a brake switch from rockymountainatv.com and wired it out to the harness......rebuilt both with new seal kits......EBC HH pads.......went ahead and used 5.1 Motul brake fluid as I had to use some DOT 3 when I rebuilt the seals........and dropped by Speigler and they made a custom brake line while I waited about 20 minutes.

I got the 10mm fine thread bolt at ACE (10 x 125 maybe...I think 150 is coarse), very short bolt......also, got a really good gun tap from Jim, drill the 2nd hole towards the front in the boomerang bracket to 11/32" before tapping.

Took my stock brake hose from the EX system, had Speigler make 2" longer (for the left side) with the same bends, braided stainless hose with stainless silver connectors.......then they put a clear sheath over it........they also give you a device where you can twist the ends if needed ( I did not need to ).........also, got a small clamp to tie the speedo and brake hose together $15 and had to drill the speedo side larger

NOTE: I have the superbike low rise bars on my bike, maybe 3" rise, order this from Speigler, talk to Dave 937-291-1735 ($63)

Left side 2" longer is 851mm-002-004 (002 is 20 degree, 004 is 45 degree)
Right side same as stock EX hose probably would be 800mm-002-004

THX Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:31 am 

Looks all clean and minty fresh. For running these bikes around on the street you are going to love this setup. Now what you are likely to experience is excesive fork dive because now the bike will actually stop when you want it to. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 pm 

Mike,

You are assuming the forks are stock.....they are totally new, Franks Fork Tubes.....Gold Valve Emulators and Race Tech Springs.....with Preload set to 24mm..........and the holes welded and redrilled as required........Brad owner of HVCcycle did them in Nebraska (His Suspension Guy Actually), very very nice..........I can lock the front tire and jump on it, way stiffer than it was.........way different than stock.......Can't wait to actually ride it.

THX Phil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:51 am 

I am in the process of doing a EX conversion on my 1977 KH 400, I have made the new bracket per the Resource Site, and have bought a master and caliper of flea bay with the correct orientation of the larger piston.. I have a question, as I was looking through the Sales and Service Section on KTOG and Jeff D offers a brake thinning service for the EX 500 conversion Page 2 ??? His ad shows a pic of H1 or H2 front end.. From what I gather from the Caliper Conversion in the Resource Site, it has no mention of any mods to the rotor??? Is Jeff's service just a enhancement to the upgrade, or something I need to do as part of the conversion..Thanks JO

1976 KV 75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Disc thinning is an option... not a requirement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next