Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:27 am 

I primed my H2 oil pump with green Suzuki CCI oil so I can see the pump switch it to the red Klotz will be running. Filled the center cyl and left cyl lines nice and green, bolt down the pump banjos with new stato-seal washers. about 2 days later I notice the red oil that is in my oil tank has run through the pump from gravity and has filled the lines again??? This morning bleed through fresh CCI green oil again. Tonight I notice it is in fact doing it again, the lines are filling again with the tank oil??? I have new check valve springs, and ball and have never seen this before??
Why would the pump let the oil flow through it from gravity from the tank???
Does this indicate the check valves are faulty or will they only stop the oil from coming back the other way from the engine pressure?
The pump was not rebuilt before this and I no it was pumping as during my motor break in I watched the lines switch from green to red while engine running and me holding the pump open.
Strangest thing I have seen in quite a while???? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:19 am 
Site Admin

So you re-primed with green?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:29 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
So you re-primed with green?

I filled the lines as mentioned with green cci. Gravity is pulling the red klotz oil from tank through the pump and Changing the green to red. Is this normal? does the pump run oil through just sitting and the check valves are what stops the oil flow both ways??? I understood the valves were to stop the back pressure from engine but the tank oil would only move when the pump was actually turning and pumping??? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:30 am 

I've only ever seen the oil syphon out of the tank when the one way valves are shot, did you test them before fitting them ?
Quote:
does the pump run oil through just sitting and the check valves are what stops the oil flow both ways??? I understood the valves were to stop the back pressure from engine but the tank oil would only move when the pump was actually turning and pumping???

If you left the pipes off the pump, the oil would syphon straight out and empty the tank, the check valves are there to stop crankcase pressure from sucking the oil out of each line prematurely, so I suspect that the valves are not working and the oil is just leaking past the valves.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:55 am 

Is it possible the Klotz has a different specific gravity and the Suzuki oil is retreating into the tank? Quick way to find out is take the line off at the engine case and bag it overnight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:05 am 

To be safe I always give my H2 a few kick with the key off before I try to start it. That way if it has hydro -locked
I have a better chance of not bending a rod. I had a dozen oil lines and only 3 check valves didn't leak after setting
them to 4.6 psi. Someone here makes new check balls and springs if I remember.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:37 am 

Board member Darth has done a lot of research and testing of the check valves and pump, so he's a great source of information. The check valves should block forward flow up to their set pressure, which is way more than gravity causes. They should always block reverse flow.

Ron, kicking with the ignition off doesn't help unless there's a huge amount of oil in a crankcase chamber. It seems that only when spinning fast, like when the engine is running, does the oil get transferred up above the piston to bend a rod.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:12 pm 

R.B. wrote:
I've only ever seen the oil syphon out of the tank when the one way valves are shot, did you test them before fitting them ?
Quote:
does the pump run oil through just sitting and the check valves are what stops the oil flow both ways??? I understood the valves were to stop the back pressure from engine but the tank oil would only move when the pump was actually turning and pumping???

If you left the pipes off the pump, the oil would syphon straight out and empty the tank, the check valves are there to stop crankcase pressure from sucking the oil out of each line prematurely, so I suspect that the valves are not working and the oil is just leaking past the valves.

I appreciate your help. My impression was the check valves only hold the engine pressure back, I did not realize the pump would gravity feed and if the valves are bad, would eventually drain the entire tank in the motor. Thanks for educating me!!!
The springs and balls are new from an EBAY seller out of MN. No doubt a member here? So, they were new when the motor was initially started, now I have 41 miles. The seller claims they are the correct resistance to operate the range of "break" pressure. I have not pumped checked the lines as I cannot figure out a way to do it without building a huge contraption to run 5 psi. My mighty vac only pulls and does not push, so I do not believe the vaccum pressure would be the same as pushing pressure?
I pulled the lines off again and installed the stock springs again. I set according to the Youtube pump test video. I stretched my old springs back to .608" and re-primped with the green CCI Zuk oil. Plan to check it for a day or two and look if gravity feeding the Klotz (red) again.
If the valves fail again with the stock springs set back to .608" then not sure what to do???
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:19 pm 

Did you do anything to ensure the new check balls were seating properly in the old valves?
Some do a light lapping of them to ensure a good seal.

Darth here on this forum is the ebay seller you mentioned and he is a good one to ask, if you have any questions about installing his parts.

Last edited by III on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:28 pm 

I think Tom V. also sells them, but I'm not positive. Both are reputable guys. I'm quite sure the balls and springs they sell are first rate, but as stated, a perfect ball with a perfect spring can't seal if the seats are in bad shape.