Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:31 pm 

I purchased some after market H2 clutch friction plates from Jess, My mechanic who was putting the top end on and setting the transfers went ahead and told me he had to grind the tabs down to get the steel band on, That would be the 2nd to the outer friction plate. what the heck. :problem: Then the outer friction plate was left alone, so when I pulled the clutch in it was ticking on the side cover. does that steel band just slip on and stay in place, it looks like it could come right off. Should I throw away these after market friction plates and get NOS, ????????? I feel I should not have to grind anything :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
I see in my shop manual it says friction plate part part number
Part part number 13088-028 1. does this friction plate have lower tabs for the steel band
part part number 13088-021 6. does these plates have taller ones.

Man I don't want to take my other H2 clutch cover off to see what it looks like.
HELP PLEASE

Last edited by mach3restore on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

That's nothing unusual. The kits have plates that fit a lot of models. The H2 has the ring, so you have to shorten the tabs on the second plate. The long tangs on the last plate is what keeps the ring from coming all the way off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:46 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
That's nothing unusual. The kits have plates that fit a lot of models. The H2 has the ring, so you have to shorten the tabs on the second plate. The long tangs on the last plate is what keeps the ring from coming all the way off.

Ja-moo would that be what I'm hearing when I pull the clutch in. To long of tabs On the first plate should I shorten them a little ?.

Last edited by mach3restore on Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:08 am 

Shorten the offending tabs a little - just for clearence! (I hope we're not due for another "run the ring" thread............! :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:28 am 
Site Admin

RODH2 wrote:
Shorten the offending tabs a little - just for clearence! (I hope we're not due for another "run the ring" thread............! :lol: )

Yes, look to see where they are hitting, and sand for clearance.

And in the immortal words, of Cheech (or Chong) "I don't need no stinkin ring........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone else should run theirs though...........

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:59 am 

Did you get the inexpensive clutches online? I've got the same issue. However, by the time I got around to pulling off the cover (FOUR MILES) the sound went away. A whirring, ticking sound when the clutch is pulled. Yes, You'll see little marks in the cover. Just a TINY bit of cleanup grinding on the outer plate tabs would be enough.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:40 am 

The tabs on my H2 clutch plates had to be shortened for clearance at the cover and the H1 had to be shortened at the other end of the stack for clearance for the gear that sits on the primary gear.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 am 

I wonder if people are using Vesrah plates which are pretty much O.E.M.? I would expect them to fit without any adjustment......!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:43 am 

Yeah, back years ago when I was into these bikes we had clutches available from Kawasaki or Barnett. PERIOD. And no noise issues.(The Barnetts like to stick together.) The latest bunch of Chinese knock offs seem to be just a bit out of spec... As others have said, these discs now fit MANY different machines. With knowledge beforehand that you need to clean up the last disc as well as shorten the one that goes under the ring, we can all avoid some noise and aggravation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:39 pm 

ZERO wrote:
Yeah, back years ago when I was into these bikes we had clutches available from Kawasaki or Barnett. PERIOD. And no noise issues.(The Barnetts like to stick together.) The latest bunch of Chinese knock offs seem to be just a bit out of spec... As others have said, these discs now fit MANY different machines. With knowledge beforehand that you need to clean up the last disc as well as shorten the one that goes under the ring, we can all avoid some noise and aggravation.

I just have not been around the H2 clutch enough to know better. It just chaps me that I was not told about the problem from the seller. :wtf: See the H2 that this clutch goes in had no discs and was in parts. Now I know. I'm just getting NOS friction plates, don't care what the cost. Thanks for the heads up.