Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:22 pm 

Wish I had seen this first. Typically, BEFORE I make a purchase or plan a task, I refer to your site. In this instance, I did not. :banghead
Just received the SUDCO carb kit and ordered it as the description stated "Genuine Mikuni Parts". Again, I ordered this before checking the site first. Whether they are or not, I do not know. But certainly, the square in a square marking as Steve's photos show above, are not stamped on the jets. Aside from that, what brought me to buy the kit to begin with, was that upon carburetor disassembly, I noticed that my jets were stamped 87.5. I read in here somewhere that my 1975 H1-F spec for 90's.
The kit came with two options, 92 and 95, no 90's to be seen. I had thought they scaled in 2.5 increments, so it should be a 92.5 no? Regardless, leaning towards Moo's comments to trash all but the gaskets, fuel valve and seat. So I'm still left with the original issue of not having the correct jet. Is this an NOS internet hunt, or are there suppliers of Mikuni jets out there? I guess the search begins.
My bike is stock outside of a WISECO Piston Kit which was installed by another party. Replaced cables and carb tops and thought I'd get the correct jets back in and a carb rebuild, before I move forward with the sync process. I can tell you I plan on checking the head bolt torque after reading another post here last night. Only about 300 miles since the service. I read if not re torqued, the gasket can leak.
Here's a question. If the rubber carb tops act as a seal, how does it not have an affect when it is lifted as you adjust idle with the top screw? Does the cap gasket actually do the seal and the top is just more of a foul weather protector? Just wondering.
Attached photos of the piston kit, the carb kit and jet stampings. No Mikuni marks to be seen. Looking forward to all comments and any direction from this group. Whenever I come in here looking, I always end up learning things outside of my task search. But it always seems to come into play for me when the next task arises. Endless insight here for me. You guys are awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

You should be able to get Mikuni jets from any local dealer but not in any kit. Don't just "lean toward" Moo's advice... do it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

The rubber tops that cover the idle screw and such, do little if anything for sealing vacuum. They do keep road gunk and water out of the works.
And true, jets go in 2.5 steps until 130 or so......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:02 pm 

Short, sweet and to the point. Thanks for sharing the knowledge mraxl, moo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 am 

In the uk alternative mikuni parts are available from at least two sources Allens and Motocarb.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 pm 

anyone have a good website that sells an assortment of genuine mikuni jets/needles?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:39 pm 

I get mine Mikuni parts from John Lutz, owner of Mid Atlantic Cycle, although I don't try to get an assortment as such. He orders the parts from Sudco during his regular weekly order and mails them to me when they come in. He gives very fair prices and excellent service. I can give you an email address for him if you like, just email me (see my Avatar). He has many parts for triples, so you might want to check out his web site.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:20 pm 

I rebuilt my carbs using Sudco parts from John, and everything runs like a champ. The needles are noticeably different dimensions than original stockers (which I kept with everything else just in case) but the performance is great. Of the two jets in the kit, I used the larger sized orifices. At this point, I am not inclined to put the old stuff back in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:36 pm 

This has been mentioned before.
The numbering on the replacement jets are meaningless as they don't correspond to Mikuni sizing.
An easy comparison with small wire drill bits will show you why there's trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:03 pm 

I have always made it a habit to "size" my jets using drills or reams. I am not a fan of trusting the numbers as proven here.

Tons of hours on the dyno with solder and reams. Here is a measuring tool similar to my old Webber measuring kit...

http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php ... uctId=3991