Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:48 am 

Zambia wrote:
Zero, I think the buzz you're feeling is four-stroking. This is symptomatic of too big a pilot or not enough air through the air jet. I am still looking for a happy medium with my H2. If I open the air screw the four-stroking goes away and throttle response is awesome, but I can't control the idle.

Zambia, that sure sounds like me!! Maybe I'll just put some miles on it and search for perfection at another time. Now, I can concentrate on that clutch noise. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:12 am 

Thanks for the help! I've gone to size 35 pilots and it helped.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:07 pm 

Looney Cylinders wrote:
Zambia wrote:
If I open the air screw the four-stroking goes away and throttle response is awesome, but I can't control the idle.

My H1 did this sort of thing when I ran the 28s. It may have had air leaks then but adjusting the needle 1 clip groove richer brought the uncontrollable high idle back to normal...Might be worth a try... ;)

J

Well, I knew we were in for an unseasonably warm day today, so last night I took Scott's advice. I raised the needle one notch and low and behold...the idle is normal again. I understand the relationship between the jet needle and the pilot circuit and also the air screw...but I never knew needle position could have such a big impact on idle. With the needle clip second from top, the idle would run up to more than 3K unless the air screw was virtually closed. Putting the clip in the middle brought the idle down to 1K with the screw at 1 1/4 turns out. Not only that, the low RPM response is vastly improved (even the sound is more crisp) and the plugs are a much nicer colour. Not related I'm sure, but the engine was piling very happily to the middle of the the red zone today -- regularly.