Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Admin

The most common performance problems are related to improper cleaning and tuning of carbs.
A basic understanding of the carb circuits and what they affect is essential to having a good running Triple. There is a carb tuning manual at http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/carbtune/carbtune.htm that can help with understanding and tuning. Pay close attention to "Tuning Prerequisites" and don't discount the need to properly adjust airscrews BEFORE attempting any jetting.

It should also be noted that unless carbs are totally torn down and cleaned that attempting to tune them will prove fruitless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:12 am 

mraxl wrote:
It should also be noted that unless carbs are totally torn down and cleaned that attempting to tune them will prove fruitless.

+1 and I would like to add that sometimes even if you completely tear them down and scrub out every hole something will still not be clean when you try them. My solution to carb problems is - do it over and over until you get it just right. :D Don't be discouraged if you have to do it over.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:29 am 

rotortech wrote:
Don't be discouraged if you have to do it over.

That's it in a nut shell!!!
It's frustrating when tuning carbs considering the wait for parts and the effort to keep swapping until it is perfect... Even worse if you are chasing a problem thinking it's jetting and it has nothing to do with it!
In the end though, there is no better feeling then when it is finally dialed in!!!

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:43 am 

Walms wrote:
rotortech wrote:
Don't be discouraged if you have to do it over.

That's it in a nut shell!!!
It's frustrating when tuning carbs considering the wait for parts and the effort to keep swapping until it is perfect... Even worse if you are chasing a problem thinking it's jetting and it has nothing to do with it!
In the end though, there is no better feeling then when it is finally dialed in!!!

I put VM30s on my S3 and was constantly chasing around a small blubber just off idle. Must have tried a bunch of different jet combos in it. Then one day I took it out and forgot to turn the gas on. That gave me the clue it was fuel level. :thumbup: Adjusted it down and the bottom end started to clean up. I'm real close now. Next will be having to beef up the clutch to hold it. :roll:

Have all kinds of extra needles and jets now. Good thing the RT1B uses 6 series jets. That one is using the stock needle it came equipped with off the showroom floor, which isn't right for it and doesn't match the latest parts book, but pretty sure I have a couple close to make it right. :thumbup:

71 Yammi RT1B
83 HD Sportster
03 Yammi R1
06 Kaw 750 Vulcan (wife’s bike)
12 Yammi vstar 250 (wife’s bike)