Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oil pump priming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:09 pm 

Thanks to all who helped me with my ignition system! I actually have a new question if you don't mind. My oil pump doesnt seem to pump any oil, it looks very clean and tidy and no neglect that I can see. The reservoir was empty and I added about 2 cups of 2 cycle engine oil. I pulled the carbs to access the oil lines and disconnected them so I could see if anything pumps out of them and after about an hour of letting it just sit I kicked over the engine to see if anything happens and nothing yet. Do I need to let the system bleed itself out over night or something like that? Thanks
Steve

Post subject: Re: Oil pump priming
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 pm 

You can't kick your bike enough to pump oil and the lines won't fill just by gravity because there is a check valve built into the brass banjo fitting at the engine case. Best mix a half gallon of 32:1 premix in the fuel tank and start the bike up. As it runs, turn the pump lever by hand to maximum opening and watch the lines it takes about a minute usually.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:32 pm 

Zambia wrote:
You can't kick your bike enough to pump oil and the lines won't fill just by gravity because there is a check valve built into the brass banjo fitting at the engine case. Best mix a half gallon of 32:1 premix in the fuel tank and start the bike up. As it runs, turn the pump lever by hand to maximum opening and watch the lines it takes about a minute usually.

Thanks bro will try it. Also I noticed 2 holes drilled in the line bolt, whats the 2nd hole for?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:43 am 

I use a cordless drill and a 9/32 socket. Hold the pump wide open, run the drill till I feel oil in the intakes.

Stay in it when it comes on the pipe, no need to be scared...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:31 am 
Site Admin

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/tips/pumppriming.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:19 am 

I do it this way.

First, prime the pump and eliminate air in the oil tank to pump line. When the cover is removed from the oil pump cavity, you can see the end plate on the oil pump, held in place with two small Phillips screws. I loosen, but do not completely remove both screws, so I can "tilt" the small cover on the end of the oil pump, outwards at its top edge. This gets oil to flow out of the end of the pump, while purging all the air out of the pump inlet cavity.

When this operation is done, I use a 10mm boxed end wrench to hold the oil pump cable "wheel" to be held in place so the last line on the wheel aligns with the line on the post next to it, pump full on.

I then take a squirt can of two stroke oil, along with a short section of clear hose, and fit it, one carb at a tme, to one of the bowl vent holes in each carb, and pump a small amount of oil into each carb bowl, usually, five full "squirts into each bowl. This gives me a small premix for each cylinder, and doesn't load the plugs up while priming the pump.

I then fire the engine up and let it idle, while watching all 3 oil lines push oil and air through them. When all 3 lines are completely full of oil, with no air in them, I remove the boxed end wrench, make sure the oil pump cable adjustment is correct, and put the cover back over the oil pump cavity.

Oil pump bleeding is the first "engine running" operation, then, carb balance, then, with engine shut down/OFF, cable/pump adjustment is the LAST operation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:33 pm 

Zambia wrote:

It worked great! But it wouldn't prime until I tilted the bike opposite of the kickstand and once I did that it primed immediately. Thanks