Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:21 pm 

How did your left pipe mount? I have solid mounts on my exhausts and have it mounted on the inside of bracket. Problem I have is it is hitting the axle when suspension compresses . I can not bend bracket as the pipe will not seat properly in flange if I do. Anyone have same problem? what was your remedy? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:13 pm 

Normally with the chamber mounted, you can just pull at the rear bracket and move it over a little with no problem. Sorry you're having this trouble. I try to tuck them as much as I can, and still leave at least 1/4" to 3/8" clearance to the axle and nut, but it seems not all frames and passenger peg mounts are identical.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 pm 

I've pulled it over some but did not help much. I still have the bushings in place and may just remove one and see if that gives me enough clearance or end up trimming axle a 1/4 inch or so

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:46 am 

If I'm not mistaken, I seem to recall that I reversed the rear axle to provide more clearance, so that the castle nut is now on the right and the more shallow end with the hole through it is on the left. I now have no clearance problems as a result. Note: I also have the LH bracket on the inside of frame, and currently have shocks that are taller than oem.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:10 pm 

I'll look into it this weekend. I also have taller shocks on mine . I don't need much clearance on the left . Are those exhaust on the right mounted inside or out , looks like one in and 1 out. It don't look like I have as much room to play on the right on mine . Also your brackets look adjustable which probably helps . Thanks for the pics

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:36 am 

h2smokin wrote:
I'll look into it this weekend. I also have taller shocks on mine . I don't need much clearance on the left . Are those exhaust on the right mounted inside or out , looks like one in and 1 out. It don't look like I have as much room to play on the right on mine . Also your brackets look adjustable which probably helps . Thanks for the pics

I know it's hard to see in this pic, but let me try to describe:
RH pipe mounted outside of frame, with rubber donut between welded pipe bracket and bracket extension for that pipe.
CTR pipe mounted inside of frame, with oem muffler rubber (the one with steel insert that slides inside frame hole) between welded pipe bracket and long bracket extension for that pipe. I did not add rubber to dampen, rather I did it to provide clearance to keep pipes' contact with frame as well as right-side main stand mount at a minimum. Please note that it appears my RH "triangle" frame section (where rear pipe and rear peg mounts) is bent slightly inwards, therefore you may need to space slightly differently depending on the "characteristics" of your frame. So basically just try mounting as I have, but also "fine tune" the positioning using round pieces of rubber or similar somewhat firm material.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:22 pm 

h2smokin wrote:
How did your left pipe mount? I have solid mounts on my exhausts and have it mounted on the inside of bracket. Problem I have is it is hitting the axle when suspension compresses . I can not bend bracket as the pipe will not seat properly in flange if I do. Anyone have same problem? what was your remedy? Thanks

Mine were hitting on the left too. Jim saw it at the gap & just pulled it a little left. My pipes may leak a bit, I don't mind. I love those stingers!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:09 am 

I have a set of jims pipes they are nice :thumbup: while sorting bike out side stand gave way bike fell over while on work bench put a big dent in left pipe (gutted ) do not want to spoil pipe looks by applying heat will run the season as is and sort next winter and i have the same issue with left pipe on the outside of mounting lug

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:56 pm 

Yes I know this is an old thread ( search button )
After getting my big brown box with a set of beautiful set of Jims Denco pipes, I also had minor fitment problems. I didn't want to mount my #3 pipe on the outside of the bracket or bend the hell out of the brackets. As a purist I firmly believe the castle nut goes on the right side of the bike. As Jim mention he tries to fit them as tight as possible and I didn't want them hanging too far out.
Obviously this is not going to work

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:12 pm 

I had no choice but to reverse the axle. This left the threaded part and nut too close to left pipe, sorry no pic. Also in my previous photo notice the wide washer. Having a dozen or so Z1 axle sets I installed a thinner washer behind the castle and installed one on the right side to move the axle over just a little bit. Adding the washer on the right prevented the cotter pin holes not to align properly, so using the dewalt 4" grinder I extended the grooves in the castle nut.
I still had to pull tug bend the pipes out a little but not enough to alter the headpipe/spigot fitment. Nice clean fit and pipes are nice and snug. :thumbup:

Added washer

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.