Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:30 am 

The shifter on my S2A doesn't always return as it should & I've read here somewhere in a post that a broken return spring could be the problem. Which (if any) of the springs in this picture is the culprit and will I have to split the cases to get it replaced?

Terry

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:56 am 

#24 is the spring that returns the shifter to original position. I can't believe it's broken, but it might be installed incorrectly. You don't have to split the cases, just remove the clutch cover (and the clutch, I think). If the spring isn't oriented properly around the ratchet mechanism on the shaft end (the thing that looks like scissors - see the important little tab?) then you won't have proper spring preload.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

If it was broken, it wouldn't "sometimes" work. And they do break, Retro3 had to R&R one this year at the gap. I would look elsewhere first.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:36 pm 

I guess I may have been wrong when I said IT sometimes works. I think when it works, it's because I'm nudging it with my toe a little.

Moo, you think it could have been installed incorrectly? Pisses me off because I had a great opportunity to look at that when I replaced the original broken clutch with one from eBay. Oh well, pulling back apart isn't that big of a deal.

Terry

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Leemata wrote:
I guess I may have been wrong when I said IT sometimes works. I think when it works, it's because I'm nudging it with my toe a little.

Moo, you think it could have been installed incorrectly? Pisses me off because I had a great opportunity to look at that when I replaced the original broken clutch with one from eBay. Oh well, pulling back apart isn't that big of a deal.

Terry

It can be, but usually works anyway. If it was totally off the stay then it would stick and never of shifted. I would check the linkage for binding or hitting something.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm 

It can be installed wrong..you need to spread the spring legs around the tab.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Zambia wrote:

It wouldn't return at all if the springs weren't around the stay. But it can be flipped and slip off the stay I believe.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:32 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Zambia wrote:

It wouldn't return at all if the springs weren't around the stay. But it can be flipped and slip off the stay I believe.

So, is it worth pulling the cover & clutch to take a look at it?

Terry

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:51 am 

Leemata wrote:
Ja-Moo wrote:
Zambia wrote:

So, is it worth pulling the cover & clutch to take a look at it?

Terry

Absolutely. If it never worked properly, it's likely installed wrong..if it worked, then failed - it's likely broken, either way you need to find out so you can fix the problem.