Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

67lotus49 wrote:
I just put a tac weld on the sprocket to the lock washer, that should do it. I am surprised that with the correct torque, red loctite and a new lock washer it loosened up. When I put the bike together a few months ago the sprocket spacing seemed right John.

100's of lbs. yanking and pulling on the sprocket...........

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:01 pm 

So John, you don't think a tac weld will hold? What about drilling a hole thru the nut and sprocket and use safety wire? I going to check it before every ride
now.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

67lotus49 wrote:
So John, you don't think a tac weld will hold? What about drilling a hole thru the nut and sprocket and use safety wire? I going to check it before every ride
now.

I would locktite it also. But it should be fine. I was answering how it could loosen up.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:25 pm 

I use Yamaha sprockets that have two threaded M6 holes either side of the shaft. Then make my own "Lock Washer" out of a thicker steel (not sure exact gauge, but probably 2x's thicker than stock).

The ears of the lock washer are oversized so there is plenty of contact area folded up onto opposing sides of the nut. This Lock Washer is then BOLTED to the sprocket using button-head allen bolts with loctite and the ears folded up after torquing the nut to 100-ish ft/lbs.

oh, and yeah... I use loctite on the nut as well.

works for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:37 am 

67lotus49 wrote:
now.

It should be fine. A tac was the only way I could get one to stay put.I tried every option available at the time, including changing shafts. Remember its not the large fold up section that's keeping it in place with the stock setup, just that tiny 1/8 th machine bent tab :shock: I think some of us backload the drivetrain more than others :think: Causing more fretting leading to failure more often.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:24 pm 

Cody, if you put a 6mm allen head bolt ( short obviously) in one of those threaded holes the head of the bolt will stop the nut from coming loose. Loctite all.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:00 pm 

I never had one come loose until I put in a rebuilt crankshaft. I think I've got it to stop coming loose by using a Genuine Kawasaki 15 tooth sprocket which I bought from the dealer. It is a little tighter on the shaft than the aftermarket one I had. I also used Red Locktite this time and a new nut and washer. The bad news is the sprocket cost $72.

72blue

"Screw the WHALES, save the TWO STROKES"

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Like I posted earlier, if you shim the sprocket, you solve the problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:06 pm 

I had this issue last year on my H2b. New tab and the sprocket still came loose. install new tab , snug tight , check for slop, none. Remove sprocket and put a dab of blue locktite, tighten to 70lbs , bend tang over . So far so good :D