Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:43 pm 

Thanks, Moo.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:49 pm 

Thanks for the warning.
I think I will write a small text regarding this in the Swedish Club magazine.

Bjorn

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:27 pm 

When Kaw installed the hydraulic damper on the H1B they added an additional bracket to the area. It is bolted between the original damper mount and the front frame gusset (where the horn mounts). Could this mod be added to an H2?

And this is what it looks like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-H1-500 ... 1c&vxp=mtr

J

Edit, link fixed (for now)

Last edited by Looney Cylinders on Sun May 13, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

It's gone. Get creative, it is a simple fix.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:41 pm 

I think LC's link got bastardized. There are several Kawasaki steering damper brackets on eBay now that look like the one he's talking about.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:27 pm 

Simply re welding the original bracket/welding the corners is not the permanent fix.

The original Kaw cantilever design will continue to flex and fail again in time, probably at the edge of the repair weld (like sawracer's repaired/welded bracket did).

To fix it properly an additional stay rod needs to be added to triangulate the damper mount. This is what Kaw did with the additional bracket installed on the H1B. As such there is essentially no flexing/fatigue occurring during normal operation.

J

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Looney Cylinders wrote:
Simply re welding the original bracket/welding the corners is not the permanent fix.

The original Kaw cantilever design will continue to flex and fail again in time, probably at the edge of the repair weld (like sawracer's repaired/welded bracket did).

To fix it properly an additional stay rod needs to be added to triangulate the damper mount. This is what Kaw did with the additional bracket installed on the H1B. As such there is essentially no flexing/fatigue occurring during normal operation.

J

I agree an extra stay is a great idea. I caught mine cracking 9 or 10 years ago, welded it back up and weld connected the fold overs, and it's still fine. But I don't ride a lot.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 am 

To be fair, my bracket was a re purposed reflector tab, but very heavily fortified for use............. :wtf:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:50 pm 

My bike has 2 of these are they necessary? I'd like to just remove them if possible. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:03 am 
Site Admin

darbydog wrote:
My bike has 2 of these are they necessary? I'd like to just remove them if possible. Thanks

2 what, brackets or dampers?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next