Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2 Forks problem
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:38 am 

Hi there, I restored upper and lower triple trees on my H2C but when I came to fit them with the forks, when viewing from either side the forks were not parallel.
The r/h fork seems at less of a rake angle than the l/h by quite some way (about .25 in over 2 ft).
OK so I,ve heard of lower triple trees being tweaked in an accident and got another one off ebay. As the upper triple tree is a aluminum cast/forged item I assumed this had to be good.
Surely if the upper was in an accident it wouldn't tweak it would just crack due to the manufacturing process of it ......right?
Anyway 2nd lower triple tree fitted and....exactly the same result. Could it be the upper? or have I just got 2 bad lowers bent exactly the same.....any ideas or just try an upper next time?
:banghead

Post subject: Re: H2 Forks problem
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 am 
Site Admin

trent wrote:
Hi there, I restored upper and lower triple trees on my H2C but when I came to fit them with the forks, when viewing from either side the forks were not parallel.
The r/h fork seems at less of a rake angle than the l/h by quite some way (about .25 in over 2 ft).
OK so I,ve heard of lower triple trees being tweaked in an accident and got another one off ebay. As the upper triple tree is a aluminum cast/forged item I assumed this had to be good.
Surely if the upper was in an accident it wouldn't tweak it would just crack due to the manufacturing process of it ......right?
Anyway 2nd lower triple tree fitted and....exactly the same result. Could it be the upper? or have I just got 2 bad lowers bent exactly the same.....any ideas or just try an upper next time?
:banghead

"Usually" the top is not bent, but it could be. Just tighten the forks in the bottom triple tree with the top of the fork just above the bottom triple clamps. You can eyeball, or measure the rake if you have a guage. Most triple were probably "pranged" at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:59 pm 

Hi there jmoo. That's exactly how I attached the forks. I havn't got an inclinometer on it yet but just eyeballing it is way out.
I thought it might just be a parallax problem so I used the same method to eyeball my S1C which has NOS forks on it and they are perfect.
Just really frustrating......might try getting a cheap top clamp off evilbay next instead of a 3rd lower....... :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

trent wrote:
Hi there jmoo. That's exactly how I attached the forks. I havn't got an inclinometer on it yet but just eyeballing it is way out.
I thought it might just be a parallax problem so I used the same method to eyeball my S1C which has NOS forks on it and they are perfect.
Just really frustrating......might try getting a cheap top clamp off evilbay next instead of a 3rd lower....... :(

If they were just in the bottom triple and they are off, then it's the bottom one that's bent......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:38 pm 

OK see what you mean will give it a go....... :think:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:24 pm 

Yep just clamped in the lowers it's still way out......oh well another lower triple tree beckons then..... :x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:14 pm 

And the inner tubes, one/both, are not bent at all ??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:07 am 

New inner tubes...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:24 am 

Trent,
How far off is it?

In the three sets I'm building, only one went easily into place.
I've found that, at least in all the ones I've messed with, admittedly few, once the tubes are into the top and bottom, if the pinch bolts are left loose-ish, as long as the tubes aren't bent [and sometimes even if they ARE bent], just tapping the front wheel against a tree, sideways, can line the tubes up. Getting the front wheel and discs lined up straight ahead.

Some may look upon this post in horror...
Brett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:59 am 

rickman wrote:
Trent,
How far off is it?

In the three sets I'm building, only one went easily into place.
I've found that, at least in all the ones I've messed with, admittedly few, once the tubes are into the top and bottom, if the pinch bolts are left loose-ish, as long as the tubes aren't bent [and sometimes even if they ARE bent], just tapping the front wheel against a tree, sideways, can line the tubes up. Getting the front wheel and discs lined up straight ahead.

Some may look upon this post in horror...
Brett

My license plate is 444-SET (force-it) and I have a big drawer in my tool box labeled BFH's.