Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:24 pm 

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:17 am
Posts: 14
Hello, I was wondering if someone can help me on this 72' H2 brake issue? Im a newby to H2's and I could really use some help. I would like to install a duel front brake system on the bike. I have 2 OEM rotors already. I was told by a few that I could use the EX500 caliper or the 91-96 ZX6 calipers but I would need a special Plate made. I just purchased a set of 95ZX6 calipers and they dont line up at all. No matter which way I try to mount them they seem like the caliper will hit the spokes. I just need someone to tell me exactly who to get the plates from and exactly what bike to get the calipers off of. Also the only reson I went with the ZX6 calipers is because I couldnt find both side of the EX500. Do I need to toss them and go with something else?

Thanks everyone
Ray


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:28 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:36 am
Posts: 1614
Location: Dandridge, TN, USA
Much of what you are looking for is here: http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/caliper/conversions.htm

_________________
http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 am
Posts: 310
Location: Dirty Old Town, Oslo, Norway.
I just put a single ex500 caliper and master with 129HH pads and steelbraided line on my bike using ja-moos bracket made by jim.

And it works incredibly well! I dont see the need for using two AT ALL, but it would probably look cool tho, especially with the milled disc ja-moo is making.

but if its too much hassle and money to do a dual setup, try the single first.. you might be surpriced how well it works.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:50 pm 

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:17 am
Posts: 14
I really wanted the dual disc setup. What year ex500 caliper did you use and does the ex500 have a right caliper?
How do I buy one from Ja-Moo? I looked all over the internet foe him, I cant find him anywhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:53 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 pm
Posts: 4973
Location: North Central NC
Sverre wrote:
I just put a single ex500 caliper and master with 129HH pads and steelbraided line on my bike using ja-moos bracket made by jim.

And it works incredibly well! I dont see the need for using two AT ALL, but it would probably look cool tho, especially with the milled disc ja-moo is making.

but if its too much hassle and money to do a dual setup, try the single first.. you might be surpriced how well it works.

1. Yes, I used a single EX setup on Ja-Moo's H1 and had to limit myself to one finger to keep from skidding before turns. (not exaggerating) I'm used to dual stock front brakes on my H2.

2. Sverre, yours is the first report that the brackets I made fit properly, thanks. Do I need to make any changes, or should I make another batch as-is?

_________________
If it surges, that's normal, upshift.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:04 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:37 am
Posts: 7250
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
mypopsh2750 wrote:
I really wanted the dual disc setup. What year ex500 caliper did you use and does the ex500 have a right caliper?
How do I buy one from Ja-Moo? I looked all over the internet foe him, I cant find him anywhere.


Go the the link mraxl put up, it has a list of calipers, and Jim here on the board does the adaptors.

_________________
I can teach your triple how to "reed"........
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/aylor/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:08 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 am
Posts: 310
Location: Dirty Old Town, Oslo, Norway.
Jim wrote:
2. Sverre, yours is the first report that the brackets I made fit properly, thanks. Do I need to make any changes, or should I make another batch as-is?


if i knew that, i would have spoken up sooner! it works very well! the only problem ive noticed so far is that the caliper hits the disc on the front when mounted in front of the forks like the stock caliper, because of some play, i dont know if this goes away when if i mount it on the right by switching the front forks. i took it off today and really tightened the M10 bolt so it wouldnt hit, and it still didnt when i was back from a quick ride ride but no major braking was done either. so dont know if it will hold.


Last edited by Sverre on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 pm
Posts: 4973
Location: North Central NC
OK, that sounds like the reason JayDav, in his how-to video, said to pull the caliper away from the edge of the disk while tightening the bolts. The holes could be moved slightly to eliminate this. If I had an EX caliper here I could try the fit and get it right. Maybe I need to get one.

_________________
If it surges, that's normal, upshift.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 am
Posts: 310
Location: Dirty Old Town, Oslo, Norway.
Jim wrote:
OK, that sounds like the reason JayDav, in his how-to video, said to pull the caliper away from the edge of the disk while tightening the bolts. The holes could be moved slightly to eliminate this. If I had an EX caliper here I could try the fit and get it right. Maybe I need to get one.



dont remember how much i paid for mine, but it think it was 15-20$ for a pristine 2007 caliper, so i would go for it! i that video jaydav also tighten the bolt after putting the caliper on. i cant do that, not even with the thinnest walled socket i could get my hands on.. maybe its because of the bolt im using?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:22 pm 

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:17 am
Posts: 14
Hey Jim, Can I get a set of plates for my H2 from you? The list that one guy said to look up says that I can use the 95ZX6 calipers. I purchased a set and I dont see how it will work. The caliper seems to be to thick and wants to hit the spokes.

My email address is rc18goneracing@optonline.net


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group