Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2B wiring items
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:44 am 

I may have to post up a couple followup pics later, but I am looking for some wiring help. I am doing a very-light restoration (clean, riding level) on an H2B that has been sitting for about 12 years. The bike came with a variety of disconnected wire terminals in the headlight bucket and I have been making steady progress in getting all the electrical stuff working. I recently got my turn signal set from reproductiondecals installed and operating and I am down to just a couple of niggling issues.

1) The tach-mounted brake light outage indicator is not functioning. I have been trying to determine whether the outage indicator switch is even present, and frankly I haven't a clue where to even look. The brake light itself works when either brake is applied, but the parts microfiche doesn't appear to locate where on the bike the switch should be mounted. Any help?

2) There is a black ground wire that terminates in a sheathed male connector attached to one of the groud points behind the spark plug holder location. It isn't plugged into anything and there aren't any obvious targets visible. What the heck is that supposed to tie into? It is maybe 4-5 inches long.

3) I have no idea if my handlebar controls are original or not. The left side control has the turn signal selector, headlight switch, dimmer switch, and horn. I have no controls on the right side, but it looks like perhaps I should have a kill switch over there? But the schematics I have seen that show a kill switch also show the headlight switch on that side. I can't make heads or tails out of it, but there is a two-pin molded female connector inside the headlight with nothing that could possible mate up to it so I am suspicious I am missing something.

EDIT- In the interests of clarity, it is worth noting that though the frame is a 74, the engine is a 72. Thus I would not be surprised to find if there are some other mish-mashed parts on the bike.

Post subject: Re: H2B wiring items
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:35 pm 

1) The brake light outage relay should be mounted under the left side cover, there is a rubber mount that hangs it from the battery box.
3) The dimmer switch should be on the left hand control and the on / off switch, kill switch and right hand directional should be on the right hand control.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Does either of these help?
http://3cyl.com/mraxl/partid/controls/controls.htm
http://3cyl.com/mraxl/wiring/H2Bwir.JPG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:44 pm 

Yes that helps. My controls look like the 72. Previous owner may have swapped the full 72 wiring into the 74 frame when the motor was transplanted. At least it helps me know which schematic to look at. I'll take another peek behind the left side cover but I only recall seeing the flasher relay there, not the outage indicator switch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:49 pm 

I should read my own writing. If I have a 72 harness and 74 clocks it looks like the 72 didn't have a failure switch to begin with. No point looking for something that is not there. Still confused by the female connector with no mate however. I'll post up a pic when I get home. Thanks for the insight.