Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:16 pm 

Aaron....
I was in your shoes when I first got into these bikes. Scared that I was going to "screw something up". After a couple of VERY expensive lessons (which taught me that nobody cares about your motorcycle like you do), I dug in and learned. From guys on here and from my own mistakes, but all of that gets you to the point where they are actually quite a reliable bike once sorted.

Ask questions here and we will walk you through it. They are not very complicated, but at the same time...the stupidest little things can drive you nuts and frustrate you to the point of wanting to sell and buy a Honda.

so in the meantime, while we wait for an Ohio member to pipe in and offer up his services......

What exactly is wrong with your bike? What is its history?

Example: Was it running great last week and all the sudden this week its crap? or has it been sitting for 30 years, and you're trying to bring it back from the dead?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:54 pm 

... not meant to be a wise-ankle comment, but if you had any time to haul your bike to the DG Meet these guys would have it sorted in 10 minutes all the while teaching, coaching and mentoring who ever wants to learn. I swear there is as much wrench slinging going on at these meets as there is riding sometimes, again part of the Grand Attraction in my opinion. While I have missed more meets than I've made, our group carries a reputation with it regarding "on-site" maintenance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, one guy brought his 400 there to get running right, we edid a transmission there, piston replacements, welding, wiring, jetting, timing, carb syncing, you name it. Even worked on a kids scooter last year......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:43 pm 

They work on mopeds too!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:49 pm 

Man I wish I was going to the Gap. Looks so fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:45 pm 

Yep that's a typical scene. Didn't H1Pete shell a tranny or shift drum one year and split the cases and repalced what ever gave up the ghost and went onto ride his H1 the rest of the week.? I'm sure there are dozens of these wrenching stories from over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:08 pm 

Here is what worked for me! After an off the frame restore and complete motor overhaul I couldn't get mine dialed in. It ran but not as it should, after hours of timing settings and carb adjustments I loaded mine an a trailer and headed to the Gap. Step one, meet a few guys and talk bikes. Step two, roll bike down the drive way in front of hotel. Step three, let someone ask why you didn't drive it down. Step four, give the reason and than let about five guys with vast knowledge look over the problem, wrench a little and you are good to go! Rode for three days with a bunch of guys that know these bikes inside and out and want folks to continue to enjoy them for many years. You can tell from this board their willingness to help.
This process may not work for you as it is a long trip down form Columbus but well worth the time if you get chance, for bunch of different reasons! (Good time)
PS Mine was a S3 400 thanks again John and the others that were part of the process.
Believe it or not that was two years ago. Bike still runs great! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:29 am 

I've read about DG, and that would be a perfect scenario for me. I only wish I would have planned ahead to take some time off work. It's a little too late for me at this date. I've actually had a couple of great PMs from some board members offering some good possibilities in my area, and that's exactly what I was looking for. I really do appreciate all the feedback, I'm just another old fart trying to save one of these bikes. They're just too cool to let die.