Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:14 am 

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good tuner in the Columbus, Ohio area. I need to get the carbs sync'd on my '75 H1 and would really like to find someone that knows these old Kaws to get everything dialed in. If you have any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am 
Site Admin

My suggestion would be that you learn how to do it yourself as the likelihood of finding someone reliable to work on it locally will be like finding rocking horse turds.
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/carbtune/carbtune.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 am 

I can agree with that and usually do handle my own wrenching, but if someone knows of a good wrench in the area that knows a lot more than I do, then it's well worth talking with them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:32 am 

Aaron...Mraxl's advice is SOUND. When it comes to these bikes, YOU must be the one to dig in and learn.

A "basic" carb-sync is a 10 minute job. By "basic", I mean getting all three carb slides to lift off of their seats at the EXACT same time, and then checking to make sure that the bottom edge of ALL THREE slides when the throttle is opened fully, clear the top bore of the carb simultaneously.

Sometimes, there is a bit of "give and take" as you find yourself not being able to get all three to lift off the base AND clear the bore at the same time. Just get it as close as you possibly can.

There are more complex syncs (vacuum, mercury stick), but I have found this "basic" syncing of the carbs will make for a bike that runs and idles well. Once you get comfortable and understand this, you can move on to vacuum syncing, etc...

Everybody has a different method of doing the "basic" sync, but I use a rear view mirror placed on the engine cases behind the carbs and VISIBLY watch to see that all 3 lift at the same time, Then a combination of LOOKING and Feeling the slides clear the bore for the top adjustment.

Just make sure your idle adjustment screws (screws on top of carb cap, NOT the Air/Fuel mixture screw on the side!) are screwed in to allow the slides to rest on the carb bottom before syncing the slides.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:11 pm 

Again, I understand and agree with these points. What is the problem in asking if there is a good wrench in my area to learn from?? My God, is everyone an expert? I know I'm not and am not afraid to ask (and gladly pay) for help instead of f*kng up a good bike. I'm pretty happy I've been able to get a 15 year barn find back up and running at all. Sorry to be a bother.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

aarron wrote:
Again, I understand and agree with these points. What is the problem in asking if there is a good wrench in my area to learn from?? My God, is everyone an expert? I know I'm not and am not afraid to ask (and gladly pay) for help instead of f*kng up a good bike. I'm pretty happy I've been able to get a 15 year barn find back up and running at all. Sorry to be a bother.

The thing is, syncing carbs is a very easy procedure, and just taking the slides out can throw it off. So it is kind of a procedure you need to know how to do. It's easier than setting points. I don't know how many carbs I have synced in parking lots, in 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:37 pm 

I need more tuning advice than simply syncing carbs. Yes, I can handle that. That's why I'd like to find someone local that knows these bikes I can learn from as far as dialing the bike in, correct tuning, etc..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

aarron wrote:
I need more tuning advice than simply syncing carbs. Yes, I can handle that. That's why I'd like to find someone local that knows these bikes I can learn from as far as dialing the bike in, correct tuning, etc..

The way the post read to me way the dialing in was the sync. There might be someone that can help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:48 pm 

Aaron, I think you're taking it wrong...There are so few guys around anymore familiar with triples that more often than not you will be successful in finding someone to help you. There may be other board members around who would be willing to give you a hand, but finding a mechanic or shop that is willing to do some tuning on a dinosaur will be tough to say the least. The main issue is the lack of available parts etc.

There have been more than a few people who have had their triples tuned or even rebuilt by reputable establishments only to figure they would have been better off doing it themselves.

I agree, it doesn't hurt to ask -- but the inevitable outcome will likely be that only hobby/enthusiasts are willing to work on these things...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:04 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I certainly know and respect what you're all saying. I knew what I was getting into when I picked the H1 up. This may be my 1st H1, but I've had numerous other bikes over the years, both 2 and 4 strokes, and worked on all of them because I had to. I kept my request pretty simple hoping to get a name of someone in my area that knows these bikes better than I do. That's all. I know the chance if finding shop are nill and it will certainly be a triple enthusiast that I learn anything from such as yourselves. I've learned a ton from reading this board since last year when I picked up my H1, and have already utilized many of the tips I found here. That being said, I'll leave it alone now and keep checking my local sources.