Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: H1 Forensics
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:51 am 

It's possible that the old style oil pump cap is the problem. Service Bulletin 73 H-16 explains this.

Quote:
CAUSE: This problem has been traced to faulty O-ring seating in the oil pump end cover. After installation, the two O-rings inside the cover shrink approximately .1 to .2mm in diameter. This shrinkage allows oil to seep around the seals and into the end cover chamber. From this point, the excess oil is pumped to the right cylinder which is serviced by the end cover orifice, resulting in smoking and premature sparkplug failure.

It should be noted that other symptoms may indicate oil pump malfunction, such as right hand piston seizure. This may be caused by oil being forced back into the main pump body through defective O-rings. As a result, the right cylinder is starved for oil, and this situation will eventually lead to seizing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 pm 

It should be noted that other symptoms may indicate oil pump malfunction, such as right hand piston seizure. This may be caused by oil being forced back into the main pump body through defective O-rings. As a result, the right cylinder is starved for oil, and this situation will eventually lead to seizing.

Thanks guys. Since the bike has sat for two years, about a half inch of air has accumulated equally in all three lines.

Since it's the RH cylinder, I suspected possible oil pump issues...would that one be the first affected?

However, the bike limped several miles back to the hotel without problems in the other cylinders.

I will spend the weekend figgering it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Check the check valves, and maybe get a spare pump........

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:42 pm 

It's a 71 motor, do they have valves?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Mr. Foully wrote:
It's a 71 motor, do they have valves?

Unless I have totally lost the plot, all triples have check valves in the case oil lines.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:25 am 

You may be correct Mr. Aylor. Teardown of the RH oil line found a small piece of goo that had made it past the ball but got stuck in the tapered end of the spring. The ball was just slightly stuck in it's seat, although that may have been caused by the two year hiatus.

Don't let this get around, but I didn't even know there were check valves in them lines.

I anticipate buttoning up the motor with a temporary RH cylinder today.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:29 pm 

It starts, runs & drives. It'll be on the trailer within 18 hours.

The injection lube had turned to jelly. A small chunk got by the RH cyl check valve and got stuck in the relief spring, cutting off oil to that cyl.

The oil tank, although it sat for two years, had two inches of jelly in it, and the screen was impregnated with it.

I don't know if it was from mixing a castor-based pre-mix oil with the old Kawasaki or Suzuki brand mineral stuff, or if water got into the oil tank from rain just before the bike grenaded.

We'll test it at the Gap.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 pm 

I bet the caster had some part in the problem. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing you this week!