Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

That could be jetting, but the oil pump doesn't effect compression.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:16 pm 

Put oil down all cylinders and retried compression test right one I got 152 center I got 155 and the left one I got 157. Also noticed today that there is three different baffles in the pipe not much different in them besides the holes inside ..would be my problem with tuning the the bike and its lack of power?? What is a good after market baffle I can get and from were?? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

"Lack of Power" is a pretty general statement. Compared to what? You might get a better response by being a little more specific. It would also be helpful to know what pipes, timing, jetting, porting, air filter, gearing you have. As well as where you are located and altitude.

A real 155psi is low for having head milled .030".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

mraxl wrote:
"Lack of Power" is a pretty general statement. Compared to what? You might get a better response by being a little more specific. It would also be helpful to know what pipes, timing, jetting, porting, air filter, gearing you have. As well as where you are located and altitude.

A real 155psi is low for having head milled .030".

they were shaved .010" Dale..... :e11 Still a bit low though. I would bet the cylinders got glazed and your rings didn't seat. Babying around with stock break in does that with the better oil available today.
You might want to read this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2909&p=28785#p28785

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:15 pm 

I'd run it reasonably hard for a thousand or so miles and see if the no-oil-added compression comes up, but I'm guessing there are other things that aren't right if the power is really low.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

For clarification, have you run it yet?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:20 am 

Yes its has been ran as about 2000 miles after rebuild .so I think you might be on to some thing with the glazed cylinders idea. I had the heads off not to long ago because of head gasket leak. When I looked down them seen hash marks .from bore job?? Could it not be broke in all the way?? What do glazed. Cylinders look like a shiny mirror like finish?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:42 am 
Site Admin

king of cool wrote:
Yes its has been ran as about 2000 miles after rebuild .so I think you might be on to some thing with the glazed cylinders idea. I had the heads off not to long ago because of head gasket leak. When I looked down them seen hash marks .from bore job?? Could it not be broke in all the way?? What do glazed. Cylinders look like a shiny mirror like finish?

the hash marks are from the honing. Glazing is when the motor isn't worked hard enough to break in the rings and the oil isn't burned off totally and puts a glaze on the bores stopping the rings from seating. Ring seating usually happens in the first few miles or so. If they haven't seated in 2000 miles they never will. I can't say for sure, but the oil bringing up the compression, really is pointing to it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:16 am 

If it was running hot and oil-rich, it's possible that the rings are getting stuck in the grooves by 2,000 miles. Did you check to be sure they're free?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:45 pm 

No I did not check to see if the ring were free didn't want to take off the jug ..so what do you guys think i should do. Hone it out and get some new piston rings on there?