Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:54 am 

I have been having hassle with the clutch on my H1A either slipping or dragging. I've completely replaced it now with all new plates and springs and one thing I have noticed is that the clutch spring plate was not good!! I had to look very closely but could actually see flex in it when i pull the lever in, I also noticed that the plate had worn unevenly sort of like spinning in an elliptical motion instead of true.

I have found a NOS spring plate on fleabay and eagerly await its arrival but in the meantime was wondering if the spring plate has inherent issues or has anybody else had similar problems with one.

FWIW I have also fitted one of those beautiful clutch actuator mechanisms which are made in Germany, it doesn't seem to have quite the same throw as the OEM part however.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1990 TZ 250A (Reverse Cylinder)
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:22 am 

Did you line up the marks on the spring plate, as it only goes on one way properly?

It is the reduced throw that makes the replacement actuator easier to use - reduced gearing as such.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:46 am 

Hal wrote:
Did you line up the marks on the spring plate, as it only goes on one way properly?

It is the reduced throw that makes the replacement actuator easier to use - reduced gearing as such.

Didn't notice any marks at all? This is the H1 clutch and the spring plate is very basic not like on the H2. I may be wrong but I don't think it really matters where the plate goes on the H1.

I have now rebuilt the clutch with new actuator et al and even tough its all new except for the spring plate the bloody thing still drags :banghead !! I have used ATF in the g/box to see if that may change things but to no avail. I'm now left with either its a problem with the spring plate that has indeed visible 'irregularities' or not enough throw on the actuator.

Luckily I have a NOS spring plate and another OEM actuator on the way.

I was wondering if any other board members have any experience with the German made actuators? Also is it possible to use the H2 spring plate on the H1 clutch as its far sturdier in design.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:14 am 
Site Admin

The h1 plate will go on many ways, but only one way to work correct. One of the holes has a line cast in it, and it matches a dot on the inner hub.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:08 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
The h1 plate will go on many ways, but only one way to work correct. One of the holes has a line cast in it, and it matches a dot on the inner hub.

Thanks for the reply Ja-Moo.

I felt pretty sure that there wasn't any locating marks on my clutch so i just took it apart again. Here is what I have, please show me what you mean as I fell that I'm missing something here.

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:14 am 

Well, a H2 clutch has distinct and easy to identify marks, whereas your 500 doesn't! However I think the marks are only there to facilitate assembly, so my guess is the marks are a non issue in this case ! ( I will now re-read the post!!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:22 am 

Do you have "wavy" serrations along the basket "fingers", or wear marks along the hub splines? Either can cause a clutch to hang-up, and drag. In my experience, all Kawasakis have "draggy" clutches, I haven't had a problem with slipping so much, but it is easy to get the clutch adjustment wrong. Looks easy, but isn't - particularly! Let us know what you find!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:40 am 

This is out of a H1D.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:23 am 

Nigel72iv wrote:

This is out of a H1D.

Nope not got that on mine, and also it looks as if you have a cast spring plate not like the POS stamped out steel one I have on my 71A. I have just measured the throw from the new actuator which I have just bought!! it looks as if I'm getting less than 2mm movement at very best :thumbdown:

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:27 am 

RODH2 wrote:
Do you have "wavy" serrations along the basket "fingers", or wear marks along the hub splines? Either can cause a clutch to hang-up, and drag. In my experience, all Kawasakis have "draggy" clutches, I haven't had a problem with slipping so much, but it is easy to get the clutch adjustment wrong. Looks easy, but isn't - particularly! Let us know what you find!!

Thanks for the response.

That was one of the first things I checked when I took the clutch apart a few weeks ago!! I dressed the basket so it was 100% with no chance of the plates hanging up on that, also the center hub has been carefully inspected and any areas where it looks other than good have been dressed out too.

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia