Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:58 pm 

How long would it take for you to get a cdi box to me?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:09 pm 

I have these in stock, so no delay there.. To the US from here generally 7 to 14 working days. We still experience some random delays because of the earthquake damage, and the US customs are also slow at times. I have had only one go missing in action over four years!! Are you satisfied the low speed coil is the problem?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:24 pm 

How do you connect the non grounded coils? I see your cdi connects to the (-) side correct. What about the positive lead on the coil?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:28 pm 

See steps 2 and 3 of the fitting instructions below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This model Starfire CDI unit replaces completely the three existing Kawasaki CDI units, the rectifier box, and the faulty High/Low speed coil in one hit.
REMOVE OR DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE INSTALLATION

1) Remove the original CDI units and rectifier box and mount the Starfire unit in its place . The Starfire unit is very compact and will take up very little space. Also remove the existing ignition coils, these are grounded via the mounting lugs and are unsuitable for this installation.... see below. It will be helpful to mark the three WHITE wires in the harness to identify which cylinder they fire.... L/C/R

2) Mount the three new ignition coils in place. The three + terminals on each coil are connected to the three RED wires from the CDI. A small harness here will ease future dismantling.

3) Connect the CDI ORANGE, BLUE and DARK GREEN wires to the - terminal on each of the three ignition coils. These correspond to the left/center and right hand cylinders respectively. These wires are available in the harness, they are all RED. If used, they must be reconnected at the designated coil terminals.

4) Identify the three WHITE wires in the harness from the alternator housing, these are the three signal/trigger coil feeds. These connect to the Starfire YELLOW/PURPLE and LIGHT GREEN. These correspond to the left/center and right hand cylinders respectively. If previously marked as in (1), life will be easy.

5) Connect the BLACK CDI wire to a firm ground.

6) Connect the CDI BROWN wire to any handy brown wire in the harness... this is the 12 volt supply from the ignition switch. This MUST be zero voltage when key is off, and 12 volts when key is on.

7) Carefully check your work. It is vital all connections are correct and secure before applying power. Make certain that the spark plugs are connected to the HT leads at all times to prevent coil damage. Refit battery. Switch on key and listen for a low buzz from the CDI. If it is squeeling, there is a fault. Turn off immediately and correct the error.

8) The bike will now run.

The ignition timing will also require checking with a timing light.

If there is no spark at this point, carefully check there is 300-350 volts at the coil primaries with the key on....., measure carefully with a multimeter . Be very careful.... this voltage can kill! For this reason, I also suggest insulating all exposed terminals on the ignition coils, easily done with a thick application of womens nail varnish or similar.

Suitable ignition coils are readily available from several vendors. I recommend 12 volt points type coils, these will measure around 4 ohms across the primary terminals. These perform best with the Starfire units as the higher inductance and core size makes for a significantly longer duration spark. Any iggy coil is suitable though, try not to go below 1 ohm across the primary as this will begin to stress the unit and will affect reliability.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:49 pm 

starfire wrote:
I have these in stock, so no delay there.. To the US from here generally 7 to 14 working days. We still experience some random delays because of the earthquake damage, and the US customs are also slow at times. I have had only one go missing in action over four years!! Are you satisfied the low speed coil is the problem?

I had only 142ohms reading for the low speed coil. Week spark and hard to start. I have made 2 new ones but my ability at making one is the problem. I now have no spark and the rectifier box measures ok. I tried switching the green and white wires but no spark. With the new low speed coil I had 200ohms before I installed it but it measures 152 installed. I don't seem to have a short in either the green or white wires to the low speed coil and it's connected right.Everything else on the stator measures in spec. I'm tempted to just get your HVU.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:35 pm 

By swapping the Green and white wires, you are using a different diode in the rectifier box to rectify the low speed voltage....if that voltage is available. It would be very unlikely the two sets of diodes are faulty , given the bike had been running above 2000 rpms. This quickly tests the box, and the coil. It seems at this stage, its likely the coil. The ultimate proof would be to fit your stator assembly to another running bike, or borrowing a known good stator assembly to fit to yours. The Starfire HVU is the cheapest option otherwise. The ohms reading of this coil when fitted should not change with the white and green disconnected.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 pm 

Well Dayle I just came back in from the garage and made some progress. I took the old low speed coil and took the wrapping off enough to find a loose connection on one of the leads. It only measures 151ohms but I have a week spark on all three again. If the rectifier box was bad I shouldn't have any spark correct? Neither one of the coils I made worked at all, just don't seem to be able to make them work. I'll try another stator as soon as I can get one here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:48 pm 

Now you once again have that weak spark, swap the white and green. Note any change. Also check the coil winding topic.... it may help you if you decide to go that route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:00 pm 

My stator I bought on ebay came today and it works great. I set the pointer to .1234 BTDC, gaped the pickups to 21 thou, aligned the timing marks and got a great spark on all 3. Plugs went in and all is good. I don't think the neighbors liked me running down the street at 8:30 but to bad. I still plan on getting a low speed coil wound that will work so I will have a spare stator. Thanks for all the help guys.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:18 pm 

Bugger the neighbours... great news. I would of liked to have relieved you of some cash though.... maybe next time. :clap: :thumbup: :D