Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:35 pm 

I think my low speed coil is shot and reading 142ohms. I know a white wire goes to it but they are all sprayed and don't want to damage anything else.
Bike doesn't like to start but runs fine above 2K, and if I try to let it idle just stalls. Spark is weak so I'm thinking low speed coil or rectifier box. Going to try and wind one after looking a Tom Garcia's how too page, just need help in finding out witch one it is. Ordering a new rectifier box too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:08 am 
Site Admin

I can't tell you which coil it is but maybe this will help...
Take a sewing needle or straight pin and stick it thru the insulation into the wire and check for continuity with the white wire at the plug. That may help to locate the wire where the varnish coating has discolored it.
I could be wrong but I think the Hi & Lo spd coils are wrapped where the alternator coils are not.... don't take that to the bank.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:02 pm 

I am going to unwrap the harness and follow the wires. Tried to make a coil and first try wasn't to great. By the third or forth one maybe I will have it. Wish I could find a good used stator. Bid on one yesterday from mistermonkeyclaw but went for way more than I would pay for from him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290684572443?ss ... 1547wt_932

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:00 pm 

You dont seem to be getting much help!!
Another suggestion. The Starfire High Voltage Unit, HVU... is designed to bypass that faulty mag coil... it will supply the missing voltage from the Low speed coil and uses the existing ignition coils and CDI. Have a look here:
http://3cyl.com/mraxl/starfire/starfireHVU.htm
This will save messing with the alternator coils and may be a good option for you , these work very well with the KH400 that also suffers this identical problem. There is no reason they will not work on the H2.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:24 pm 

Thanks Dayle. From what I can understand, hard starting that is electrical, is caused by a low speed coil problem or bad rectifier box on a H2. My low speed coil
(white to green) measures 142ohm instead of 200ohm. I didn't know you made a HVU that may be the answer I need. I wish you made a complete setup
that didn't use any of the old system. Your ZX mark 2-3 cdi would eliminate the need for the high/low speed coils correct? I think you told me that I would have to
change my ignition coils to none grounded type for my H2?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:49 pm 

Yes, you are correct. To isolate whether its the rectifier box or the mag coil, swap the green and the white wires to your rectifier box. If the bike now starts, its the rectifier box, if not, its the mag coil.
The HVU will replace the low speed voltage to the existing CDI, easy to install, only 4 wires.
The ZX2/3 will replace the CDI boxes, the rectifier box, and the mag coils in one compact unit, but fairly complex to wire in correctly. You will also need to replace the iggy coils. The originals are grounded through the mounting lugs and this will short out the Starfire unit... the coils must "float" above ground. I would recommend trying the HVU. If the Low speed coil is buggered, this is the easy way out, and cheaper.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:29 pm 

Also, its very easy to test the rectifier unit. Make up a test light... just a small 12 volt instrument cluster bulb with 2 wires soldered to it. Disconnect the rectifier box from the bike. Connect one light green to one wire to the bulb. The other wire from the bulb goes to the black. The black also goes to battery negative. Battery positive is then connected first to the dark green.... the bulb should light. Reverse the connections to the battery, the bulb should not light. Then try the 2 other light greens in sequence, you should get the same result. Then connect battery positive to the white and once again the bulb should light. This tests all the diodes. Or, more simply to test the suspect ones in your case, with your digital meter on diode test, measure between the green and black/white, and the white and black/white. One way with the meter probes will read around 650 and 1200, reversed will read infinite. There are ways of testing the mag coil in situ... I have mentioned this on the old site, but this uses the mains and could cause a major blackout in your area..... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:12 pm 

What coils would you recommend if I use your cdi box?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:39 pm 

starfire wrote:
Yes, you are correct. To isolate whether its the rectifier box or the mag coil, swap the green and the white wires to your rectifier box. If the bike now starts, its the rectifier box, if not, its the mag coil.
The HVU will replace the low speed voltage to the existing CDI, easy to install, only 4 wires.
The ZX2/3 will replace the CDI boxes, the rectifier box, and the mag coils in one compact unit, but fairly complex to wire in correctly. You will also need to replace the iggy coils. The originals are grounded through the mounting lugs and this will short out the Starfire unit... the coils must "float" above ground. I would recommend trying the HVU. If the Low speed coil is buggered, this is the easy way out, and cheaper.

The green and white wires on the 3 wire plug (blue, white, and green)?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:48 pm 

67lotus49 wrote:
starfire wrote:

The green and white wires on the 3 wire plug (blue, white, and green)?

Yes.