Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:00 pm 

I was considering whether to stick with my stock single disk or go with dual disk on my S3 build. I built up the front hub and axle with disks attached and found there is no room for the speedo cable. The cable would interfere with the disk if installed with normal spacers on the axle.

So what are the options for dual disk on the S3?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

If you're dead set on having dual discs then one option is to use a KH400 front end and weld caliper mounts on the RH fork, make adapter plate for caliper.

If you just want more braking power use an EX setup.

How did you attach a second disc to an S3 hub?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:53 pm 

I would think that the speedometer drive would be OK when it was machined back to allow for the disc mounting, much like the mods needed to clear the second disk on Morris Mag wheels. The Morris mod took the seal holder area (NOT THE CENTER SPACER IN THE DRIVE), off the speedometer housing, to clear the second disc mounting flange on its carrier.

Most early speedometer cables attach and drive the same way, but, there are different lengths. We used to use the Z1 cables when we rotated the calipers behind the tubes, then, KZ1000 cable for even longer attachment. As long as the inner cable has the right ends, and the outer connectors work, length is the only issue, mix and match the cable length you need.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:35 pm 

mraxl wrote:
If you're dead set on having dual discs then one option is to use a KH400 front end and weld caliper mounts on the RH fork, make adapter plate for caliper.

If you just want more braking power use an EX setup.

How did you attach a second disc to an S3 hub?

The four tapped holes are already there in the RH side of the hub. I have both left and right EX calipers that I have rebuilt - just in case I go with dual disk.

I am not dead set on dual disks, I was just checking it out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:43 pm 

H2RTuner wrote:
I would think that the speedometer drive would be OK when it was machined back to allow for the disc mounting, much like the mods needed to clear the second disk on Morris Mag wheels. The Morris mod took the seal holder area (NOT THE CENTER SPACER IN THE DRIVE), off the speedometer housing, to clear the second disc mounting flange on its carrier.

Most early speedometer cables attach and drive the same way, but, there are different lengths. We used to use the Z1 cables when we rotated the calipers behind the tubes, then, KZ1000 cable for even longer attachment. As long as the inner cable has the right ends, and the outer connectors work, length is the only issue, mix and match the cable length you need.

Thanks for the suggestion but the disk bolts directly on the stock S3 hub with no mods (how about that?). And the axle assembly with the S3 speedo fits and clears everything. The problem is that the centerline of the speedo cable is almost exactly in the same plane as the outer face of the disk. Therefore, if the cable was installed it would rub the disk.

After some consideration it appears that it could be done with an additional 1/4" spacer between the speedo drive and the bearing (plus some way to connect the drive dogs on the speedo gear). Likewise, 1/4" would need to be trimmed off of the shoulder on the outboard side the fits against the fork leg.

Thanks for the responses. I suppose that this just isn't done much on the S3. I thought I was missing something simple.

I may take it on as a project in the future just for grins. :D