Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: bad oil leak
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:56 pm 

hello, guys, i am new to triples. i recently bought a 1975 h1, the bike sat for 13 years. so after rebuilding carbs, and repairing the electrics, it started on the third kick ! after that one kick with no choke ! anyway, i had some oil leaking, i replaced the sprocket seal that looked suspect. but I still have a substantial leak. Oil seemed to still be coming from the left side and really gushing with the stand not resting on a two by four. it seems to be coming out of the rear motor mount ? i know this sounds crazy but i pulled out the bolt and it is totally saturated with oil. am i nuts ? any help appreciated.

Post subject: Re: bad oil leak
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

It's probably the shift shaft seal. And Welcome to the board!

I moved your post the the correct section.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:30 pm 

thanks, yes i replaced the shift seal, any other ideas ? glad to be here !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

There is only really 4 places oil can get out on the left side, The clutch mechanism seal, The sprocket seal, the O ring on the collar the sprocket bolts against and the shift shaft seal. Most Triple have the kickstand mount bent and leak on the side stand. So if it just leaks without the 2x4 then they may all be ok. Make sure our oil level is correct also.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:46 pm 

Thread above this right now that's similar.

http://kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2387

"really gushing with the stand not resting on a two by four."

I used to get what appeared to be a lot of leaking even on a 2x4 especially in the summer here (at 6800 feet ASL). Not so much when I lived at sea-level. Seemed worse when I switched to GearSaver-80. Huge puddle (but was actually just a little with the oil dispersing in a large pattern). I did not mind the garage clean up but when out riding and at rest for even a few minutes on the stand it would puddle where parked.

I had a tendency to overfill when eye-balling the markings on a quart bottle. Switch to using a ratio cup - still had puddles in the summer - not so much in the winter. I eventually came to the conclusion I could not control barometric pressure and temperatures.

I posted a pic of my fix in the above post. No puddle since this change.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:58 pm 

i put some oil in it and put the kickstand right on the floor and removed the engine cover, looks like its weeping from the corner of the main case seal, just to the rear of the sprocket, !%&.... looks like trouble, or ? thanks all you guys !!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:12 pm 

Man, you sure? I don't know - others guys might have an idea. If I did not have this board for advice, I would try a little yamabond or case sealer on it. If that does not hold maybe a SMALL THIN smearing of JB weld over it. Anything till the next time you open the cases.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

I would clean up the suspected area of leak and then put a paper towel over it. That should tell you exactly where the leak is at. If it is from between the cases then the only thing to do is try a sealer externally or split the cases.
Its hard to believe a case seal would ever leak any appreciable amount.... more likely shaft seal and/or o-ring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:43 pm 

Good point Dale, I've never seen a case leak a lot on any bike, usually they're enough to be annoying at most.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:49 pm 

Something that seems to be missed is the fact there is a 1/8 vent hole for the trans in the vicinity of your leak. It is on the back flat face of the trans on the left side (just below the upper engine mount bolt). It might be hard to see as the H1s don't have any sort of fitting on this hole, just the tiny hole. It is important this hole be clear! Oil will often leak out here if the trans is over filled (especially when the bike is on the side stand). Any overflow will be worse when engine is warm.

Check for proper trans oil level with bike level and dipstick screwed all the way in. Withdraw dipstick and the oil level should fall between the two scribe marks.

J