Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:53 pm 

I also have Ivans carb kits in my 74 H2 and My H1B..Great guy to deal with..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:09 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
500's don't have a lot of bottom end anyway, and it is easy to reduce it even more with timing. Your lack of power is probably mostly from the retarded timing. Give the 25 degrees a try and let us know what you find.

Eureka!!

Can report that the bogging down was caused by the Keyster needles for sure!!

I timed it at 3.46 and it didn't make an iota of difference, so I then dropped the MJ to part number 95 from the recommended part number 100 with still no appreciable difference!! I have now dropped the needle so the clip is on the second groove from the top and at last the bike is now far more responsive and not bogging down.

I'll try the top grove (leanest needle setting) later today to see if I can improve it even further, this goes to prove that the needle and possibly even the NJ is the problem here as by rights this bike shouldn't be running 95's with the needles set as they are. FWIW I know that its possible to get 1/2 groove needle shims if you decide to get really anal about it.

Anyhow its just started snowing here so further road testing today has been abandoned. Just need some different clutch springs now as the new EBC clutch fitted OK but the new EBC 10% stronger springs don't fit properly on the spigots located on the clutch center. :banghead

Thanks for the help boys..................... :thumbup:

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1990 TZ 250A (Reverse Cylinder)
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:30 am 

Just for the record I don`t know a fraction of what the gurus here know about the triples but I have had mine now for a year and you wouldn`t believe how many differrent settings of all the carby adjustments I`ve tried. Can I just advise that the best way to see if your bogging down is caused by richness or not is the basic method of running the bike fairly hard and stopping pretty much straight away (ie avoid idling) and getting all the plugs out for an inspection. Obviously the black is rich and brown is optimum. I tried so much contrary advice and kits and read manuals till my eyes were dropping out, but the above is the only real test in my opinion and is so easy. Oh, and start out with new or clean plugs. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:20 am 

greens8 wrote:
Just for the record I don`t know a fraction of what the gurus here know about the triples but I have had mine now for a year and you wouldn`t believe how many differrent settings of all the carby adjustments I`ve tried. Can I just advise that the best way to see if your bogging down is caused by richness or not is the basic method of running the bike fairly hard and stopping pretty much straight away (ie avoid idling) and getting all the plugs out for an inspection. Obviously the black is rich and brown is optimum. I tried so much contrary advice and kits and read manuals till my eyes were dropping out, but the above is the only real test in my opinion and is so easy. Oh, and start out with new or clean plugs. Good luck.

Thanx for the input.

What you are describing is what is known here in the UK as a 'Plug Chop' This will indeed determine how the engine is running but only when its on main jet (Over 3/4-full throttle). The symptoms which I had previously described occurred at between 4-600 rpm at which time the engine is being controlled by the needle and the needle jet and to a lesser degree with the main jet.

This area is difficult to diagnose especially if there are parts fitted within the carburetors that are not OEM parts. In my case I bought this bike after it had had an enthusiastic restoration by someone who clearly knew nothing about the bike and had never set the bike up after the work was completed, I believe its was never even run since the rebuild.

In my particular case the carbs on my machine had been rebuilt using 'Keyster' rebuild kits which I have found to be a 'budget option' that is available owing to the fact that genuine OEM Mikuni carburetor parts are no longer available over the counter as they have been discontinued. Without doubt the Keyster needles fitted to my bike were Keyster Y32 like in this kit advertised on fleabay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 740318846+

The bike ran very rich between 4-6000 which is when the needle and needle jet come into play. By rights the clip on the needle should be on either the center groove or possibly second down from the top (Leaner) My bike requires the clip to be on the top groove (Leanest) and I'm now using part number 95 main jets too. This indicates to me that the bike is rich at this rev range as although it is now much better than it was its still not as crisp as it could be.

Consequently I scanned the internet and found some brand new 5DJ19 OEM needles (Couldn't find any new 5GL3), sure they cost me a lot of money but if I want this thing to run right I had no real option. Second hand needles are risky as other than possibly being bent they are also prone to wear, so 40 year old needles were not they way I wanted to go. All I'm hoping now is that the needle jet is not worn.

Understanding why the engine is doing what its doing is the key to sorting out the carburation, I have found through experience that going to extremes to identify the symptoms can be a great help. In my case I could easily identify the rev range where the issues existed and knew enough to know what part of the carburetor controlled (Or had influence) at that particular range.

Moving the clip on the needle from the very bottom (Richest setting which made things worse) to the very top (leanest setting which made things better) narrowed down where the problem was 'significantly'.
As you will have no doubt noticed the needles are tapered, the amount of taper is what controls the amount of fuel/air at that particular throttle opening and is crucial to the correct running of the machine.

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:35 am 

A common and easy way to determine if you're rich or lean is to lightly push the choke while at the trouble spot, if it's lean it will get better, if it's rich it will get worse. Before paying big bucks for NOS needles I would check into Ivan's kits. They include NEW, specially designed needles and orfice tubes as well as the PJ and MJ. Check out his website, http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com, all feedback I've heard has been excellent! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:58 am 

194#O-2 works with 5GL3, and 194#O-4 works with 5DJ19, if you use 5DJ19 with 194#O-2 youll be way lean because of the smaller opening in the needlejets (someone please correct me if im wrong)

edited: according to this http://www.scribd.com/doc/59048897/Mikuni-Tuning O-2 is leaner the O-4.

Last edited by Sverre on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:03 am 

ThreePipesSmokin wrote:
A common and easy way to determine if you're rich or lean is to lightly push the choke while at the trouble spot, if it's lean it will get better, if it's rich it will get worse. Before paying big bucks for NOS needles I would check into Ivan's kits. They include NEW, specially designed needles and orfice tubes as well as the PJ and MJ. Check out his website, http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com, all feedback I've heard has been excellent! :thumbup:

I agree with dabbing the choke, but in my case when the rev range is so small it can be very deceptive especially if you don,t really know what to look for, agreed the ivan jet kits look excellent for a total carb rebuild but in all honesty I only required the needles and $210 plus shipping is well over twice what I have paid for the needles and I already have jets and screws etc.

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 am 

Sverre wrote:
194#O-2 works with 5GL3, and 194#O-4 works with 5DJ19, if you use 5DJ19 with 194#O-2 youll be way rich because of the bigger opening in the needlejets(someone please correct me if im wrong)

I have 172#0-4 to suit the 5DJ19 on the KH5 carb bodies I could possibly could use some 194#0-4, but all being well even with the 172's it'll be better than it is now. I have been in touch with Allen's Performance http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/ an they assure me that the needles 5DJ19 and 172#0-4 jets are 100% correct.

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 pm 

4-5k is the spot I like to do the needle and pilot tuning because it is the most difficult place to get spot on for a 500... At least in my case, below and above that rpm will pretty much take anything I throw at it...lol
I made a pointer to my throttle grip to get a better idea of the throttle position. For me this helped a ton!
This will let you know if you should be playing with needles and needle jets (3/8- 5/8 throttle) or pilots and slide (0- 3/8 throttle) main jet (5/8- wfo thriottle)

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:30 pm 

Walms wrote:
4-5k is the spot I like to do the needle and pilot tuning because it is the most difficult place to get spot on for a 500... At least in my case, below and above that rpm will pretty much take anything I throw at it...lol
I made a pointer to my throttle grip to get a better idea of the throttle position. For me this helped a ton!
This will let you know if you should be playing with needles and needle jets (3/8- 5/8 throttle) or pilots and slide (0- 3/8 throttle) main jet (5/8- wfo thriottle)

:thumbup:

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia