Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which Oil & Pump Setting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:58 am 

I'm curious to learn what has been going on with regard 2 stroke oil and the delivery of it when using a pump as the efficiency of 2 stroke oil has improved a great deal since the time these engines were designed.

'Back in the day' I used Shell 2T, but in these days of highly developed 'synthetics' which are much more efficient I was wondering what folk are now doing and what folk think about using Castrol Power 1. Does the pump need to be backed off a bit if you do use these oils, I am curious if the pump is now putting in more oil than the engine actually really needs.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-732-castrol ... e-oil.aspx

It has a bearing for me, as to play safe I'm still setting my pump so the mark is on the full open mark when the slides are fully open, is this correct as the pix in the manual I have are very bad, does it matter where the pump returns too when the motor is idling?

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1990 TZ 250A (Reverse Cylinder)
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:08 am 

If we can use the famous Australian Victa 2-stroke lawnmower as an example, they recommend 25:1 for mineral based oils, and 50:1 for the current synthetics. I am building a modified H2 engine, and have decided to use a H1 (500) oil-pump, and, of course, modern oil - probably Yamalube mineral oil. Hope this helps, rather than confuses!! Just 1 opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Admin

You are right about modern oils. It won't hurt to back the pump off a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:34 am 

ade wrote:
...I'm still setting my pump so the mark is on the full open mark when the slides are fully open, is this correct as the pix in the manual I have are very bad, does it matter where the pump returns too when the motor is idling?

The Kaw manual says to set the pump so the two marks are aligned when the slides just start to open. When the cable is relaxed, they don't quite line up yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Admin

The pump is not progressive. The gear moves a cammed piston to pump oil. There is just a stroke restrictor up to about 1/8th throttle, then full stroke. The looser the cable, the later the restricted stroke is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:21 pm 

Due to the quality of the synthetic oil I altered the setting of my H2- oil pump. Now the lever of the oil pump starts moving at about 4000 rpm. Since more than 40000 miles I haven't experienced any problems - just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:39 pm 

Throttles wide open with the dot/line method seems to work well with an H1A. This will give about 500 miles (800kms) per liter consumption (average riding), which seems to work well.

Choice of oils around here is like which is better: grapefruits or oranges..... If the bike lives outside filthy old dino tends to protect the bearings from rust better.....

J

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:12 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 pm 

Looney Cylinders wrote:
Throttles wide open with the dot/line method seems to work well with an H1A. This will give about 500 miles (800kms) per liter consumption (average riding), which seems to work well.

Choice of oils around here is like which is better: grapefruits or oranges..... If the bike lives outside filthy old dino tends to protect the bearings from rust better.....

J

Thanx for that Looney Cylinders :thumbup:

71 Kawasaki H1A
2005 MV Agusta 1000s
1990 TZ 250A (Reverse Cylinder)
1996 RS 250R Honda
1996 RS 250 Aprilia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:10 pm 

I've been riding with the marks almost aligned, probably a mm below. I use Klotz castor, in FL it doesn't get too cold and I haven't had any problems. As far as I can recall, castor isn't really recommended for pumps, but since the '74 sends some of the oil to the bowls it kind of pre mixes part of it.
I just ordered new rings, cylinders are in good shape, crank and bearings too. It wouldn't make sense to get new pistons right now-they were stuck(I ride quite a bit) so if castor does give you sticky rings the trade off is your crank and bearings are well protected
I have thought of using the klotz synthetic/castor supertechniplate if it makes a difference-any thoughts on sticky rings? And maybe I should back the pump off a bit?

Best,
JB