Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Putting on a Chain clip
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 am 

I must google this after breaking one clip on the chain link , I am am struggling to put the the clip on my 530 did heavy duty cain. There must be a knack , I tried but now I need to ask the experts. I just cant get it over the joiner link. Please help.

Everyone on the site has been so great. I took the Kh500 around the block today. Still no clutch, but it ran smotth and hot pwerband in first in second........ just awaesome.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:04 am 
Site Admin

Be sure you have the correct clip, not all 530 clips will fit different chains. Needle nose pliers help. It's always a good idea to clean the clip, outer plate real well, and put a layer of 3m yellow weather stripping goo under and over the clip. And make sure the closed end is to the rotation of the chain.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:29 am 

The correct clip should sit flat on the connecting link, to the left of the pins. Put some pointy- nose pliers on the round end of the clip, and to the right side of the nearest pin. Squeeze firmly, and you should be done! Sometimes tool-kit type pliers are a better option - the open end of the clip just needs to slide over the 2nd (right-side) pin! let us know how you go! It is easy when you know how! ( Actually, that's my philosophy on life, but that is another story)!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 am 

thanks i did it with pliers and one of those tools that open things up . they reversable for circlips. i used the link that came with chain as i had to put pressure to put it in. seems safer then the after market link qwhich slid straight on. i guess the clip is the only thing between me and disaster. i use to mushroom my klr x ring ring on chain braeker. no other option really. i guess the heavy duty 530 chain is not the best for this? i dont real;ly know.

sorry feeding the babt as i talk.... i am om late shift.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:33 am 

Clips don't usually come off if they go on O.K. I always use the type where you mushroom the 'soft' pins to make it permanent. A heavy-duty 530 chain should be fine!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:40 am 

How do I know if they are soft pins. ..I guess i cuouls also mushroom them now that I have the clip on....or would this just be stupid ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:49 am 

Don't do that. You can buy a link, (same brand as chain) that has slightly longer pins that are made to be knurled over , once the side-plate is installed.(You are only doing the same thing as all the other links on the chain). Talk to someone at your local bike shop!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 am 
Site Admin

RODH2 wrote:
The correct clip should sit flat on the connecting link, to the left of the pins.

That really depends on if the clip is being installed on the upper or lower rung of the chain. That is correct on the upper, but not the lower.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 pm 

Good point, I always do it at about 2 o'cock on the rear sprocket, I always thought everyone did !?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:47 pm 

Exactly which DID chain are you working with mate ? Is it a 50 NZ, DS, DZ, do you know ?

The following applies solely to DID chains. I happen to work for the UK importer and so can speak of this brand with certainty. Other brands may be similar but I am not gonna hold my hand up and say they are the same .....

There are only two types of clip links used on DID chains: RJ and FJ links.

The difference is that FJ links,(usually only used on 420 and 428 pitch) have side-plates that will push on with fingers and can come off just as easily.

The type of link is usually indicated on the packet (if it's in one)

RJ type clip links are known as press-links, they have a a friction fit side plate. They require the side plate to be squeezed on to to the link with pliers or similar. It will fit then securely and will need taking off with either a grinder or a chain splitter, you will not get it back off with fingers.

The Horseshoe clip is fitted as an extra security measure on both types of link. The closed end should always face the direction of chain rotation.

I would guess you have an RJ type link and you have a problem where the side plate just sits on the edge of the link, not sliding on fully ? That is how it should be.

Use a pair of mole grips (or whatever you guys call em over the pond) to gently squeeze it into place and fit the horseshoe clip on afterwards so the closed end faces the direction of rotation..dont squeeze the side plate on too tight though or you will have a frozen link or tight spot in the chain. It needs to be on just far enough to allow the horseshoe clip to go on.

Incidentally, if you have sealed ring DID chain links, never, ever hammer the end of the links over to peen the ends flat.

They must be flared over using the correct type of chain tool. Hammering the pins over causes micro-fractures in the hardened chain pin and can lead to catastrophic failure of the chain. Many moons ago, DID chains did need hammering, but the manufacturing method and construction was changed ages back. It seems though that many members of the general public and even some dealers are still not fully aware of that fact. ;)

take care out there :thumbup: