Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:43 pm 

I rode my 74 H2 from campus in the evening. It was cool temperature wise, and the bike acted sort of strange. It didnt want to go, kind of bogged down when I tried to go in first gear. I figured it was only acting cold natured. I sat and let it warm for a bit. Ran okay after that.
Then I parked it. Let it cool before I put the cover on it. When I put the cover on I pull a strap under neath it to ensure wind does not blow it off.
I did not notice anything out of ordinary.
IN the morning I go out there and a huge puddle of fluid is underneath my bike.
:shock:
:?
:o
It was difficult to see any signs of where the fluid was coming from. The best I can tell is it is coming from a seal on the right side of the engine (as sitting on bike) Under the kickstart lever is a rod that sticks out of the engine. That rod (I dont know what its for) has a seal around it that sits in the clutch engine case.
(is that rod supposed to rotate? or spin?)

It appears like the fluid came from there. Is this a common thing? Or just one of those rare things that screw up your day?

Anyone else experience something like this?

Cheers,
jack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:48 pm 

Coy Toy wrote:
Under the kickstart lever is a rod that sticks out of the engine. That rod (I dont know what its for) has a seal around it that sits in the clutch engine case.

That's the other end of the shift shaft, which you rotate with the shift lever when you change gears. The seal is inexpensive and replaceable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:49 pm 

Tranny fluid can leak from the shaft seal you have described, but it is not very common and it's normally a slow-developing leak rather than a sudden puddle (particularly on the right side since the bike probably has a big lean away from there once on the side stand). The more likely occurrence is that the tranny fluid "burped" and came out of the overflow tube on the back left side of the motor -- this is quite common.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

Zambia wrote:
Tranny fluid can leak from the shaft seal you have described, but it is not very common and it's normally a slow-developing leak rather than a sudden puddle (particularly on the right side since the bike probably has a big lean away from there once on the side stand). The more likely occurrence is that the tranny fluid "burped" and came out of the overflow tube on the back left side of the motor -- this is quite common.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 pm 

is it perticular to H2s or does the H1 also have a overflow tube.? :oops:
thanks mark

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

two-stroke-brit wrote:
is it perticular to H2s or does the H1 also have a overflow tube.? :oops:
thanks mark

They are all vented.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 pm 

Was the bike on the center stand? "huge puddle" ... Check your oil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:19 pm 

my H2, since the first mile has always "burped" a bit of oil out of the vent tube after a ride. I even vented the cap to see if it made a difference (it didn't). I know you can flip the hose upside down, but I just chalk those 3 to 4 drips of oil up to "character".

I did have a leak around the outer perimeter of the left shift shaft seal (metal to aluminum, not inner rubber lip to shaft) Took me forever to figure out where/how it was leaking. Fixed it with a thin smear of silver RTV using a socket as a "mold" over the shift shaft. Hasn't leaked a drop in 3 years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:10 pm 

Problem solved here:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 pm 

Thank you for your replies and tips.
If it was a burp, it was a big one. More like it got sick and vomited. This was not just a few drops of fluid. This was at least half of the tranny fluid.

I haven't done anything to it yet since we had sort of a cold spell. I guess I will add some fluid and see if/where it comes out.

Is it possible to change the shift-shaft seal with out taking the case off? I guess the hard part will be pulling it?

Thanks