Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:28 pm 

Coy Toy wrote:
I guess I will add some fluid and see if/where it comes out.

This is your best bet. Just get her good and clean first.

"Let's keep your crankshaft great!"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:52 pm 

Well, I guess chalk it up to a burp. I put some fluid in it, enough so that it showed on the dipstick. No leaks appeared.
I moved it side to side...no leaks appeared.
I took it for a short ride. Still no leaks apparent.

I thought because of the size of the puddle it had to be something. But I guess that stuff spreads out pretty good.

Anyway, thank you all for your tips.
Bad news is that while I was examining it I found that the seems on my one of pipes is open.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 pm 

Welcome Texan! (Hook 'em Horns); with these vintage 'riders', one might should seek and store a gasket set, from providers on this site. At least get a right side "clutch" cover gasket in case you ever want to just change clutch springs (easiest thing to do to clutch INside the cover - even I can do it). (can easily change shaft seals also). It's only an annual thing, but next time I visit my family in RoundRock, I will have to look you up. It would be TOO cool a dream pic to photograph a triple parked on my favorite college campus! (only went to UT Arlington, but have followed the Horns since Earl Campbell). Mark St, '77 KH400 and a survivor, red H1.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:50 pm 

One of the seams is open - cool! Excuse for chambers!!! (even though seam should be a simple fix)...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:27 pm 

Hey BarryB I fixed my vent tube like the one in your photo. I turned the thing upwards and attached a clear hose. I curved it backward (towards rear wheel) and zip-tied it secure. The outlet of the hose was about even, if not slightly above the vent hole.
I mention that because I got another puddle of fluid. :banghead

I got another puddle and I did not even run the engine.
It seems that there is some sort of siphon action going on. I am beginning to attribute this towards the barometric changes of the spring weather fronts moving through so often right now. I say that because Of my next observation.

When I found the puddle again, I cut the zip-tie and moved the hose, which is about 10-12 inches long, and placed it so that the outlet is straight up.
I did not see another puddle, but when I checked on it, there was about six inches of fluid in the hose. The level of fluid was actually several inched above the crankcase. :wtf:
So I opened the fill hole and when I did, the fluid receded back down the hose and into the case.

I finally have my S3 kickstand and will install soon. So my going hypothesis is that there is a vent passage or flow inside the crankcase that is blocked or inhibited some how when the bike is tilted way over on the side stand, due to suspension mods. It is this "blockage" that allows the pressure to build with the case, that pushes fluid out the vent hole, which is lower than normal due to the extreme lean. When the fluid gets pushed out enough, it starts a siphon action sending more fluid out of the hose.

Thats the theory anyway. If It goes back up the hose again Ill take a picture.

Does that sound plausible, or is there another answer?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:15 pm 

The vent tube that you're getting oil out of is the only vent in the transmission. If its opening is below oil level, and the transmission warms up, as you said, the pressure will blow oil out the tube. The solution, as you're in the process of doing, is get the bike to quit leaning so far when it's parked.

At least you know your right crank seal, shift shaft seals, clutch actuator rod sead, and oil pump shaft seals are all in good shape. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:26 pm 

I normally just leave the O ring off the dipstick . . . generally cures the problem :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

R.B. wrote:
I normally just leave the O ring off the dipstick . . . generally cures the problem :thumbup:

not stock, -10 points............... :lol: :e11 :lol: