Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pod Filters for an H2
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:44 pm 

Need to replace my black Uni foam filters and remember reading on the old board that some thought that any filter with a hard back would cause issues with a triple intake system.
Also remember that some thought a gauze style filter (K&N) worked better for our application.
Then there is the question of can the K&N copies ( Emgo, Speedmoto, etc.) work very well at all; at least they offer the correct 1 5/8 ID for fitment and are MUCH less expensive.

Do we know anymore now than then as to difinitive answers to the above?
TIA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Jim C wrote:
Need to replace my black Uni foam filters and remember reading on the old board that some thought that any filter with a hard back would cause issues with a triple intake system.
Also remember that some thought a gauze style filter (K&N) worked better for our application.
Then there is the question of can the K&N copies ( Emgo, Speedmoto, etc.) work very well at all; at least they offer the correct 1 5/8 ID for fitment and are MUCH less expensive.

Do we know anymore now than then as to difinitive answers to the above?
TIA

UNI's are still the best. The fake K&N's fall apart......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 am 

Jim I'm running hard backed, oval shaped, gauze K&N style pod filters on my 32's that are labeled as Vance and Hines. I would imagine Terry and Byron were having someone else brand them as V&H back in the day, most likely K&N.

I've had these for probably 20+ years (yikes) on and off my bike as I continued to play around with carbs, filters, jetting and pipes. I now have a good combination of all these as indicated by dyno results.

It would have been interesting to evaluate the dynamic differences between filters, everything else the same when I had it strapped down. Perhaps on my next effort I can find out if there is anything statistaclly significant between more than one style/type of filter.

That being said, I have no performance issues and my throttle response is consistent across all rpms. Just one man's experience and far from a diffinitive answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:05 am 

Got some from Schnitz Racing for my Z1s and H2s. Way cheaper than K$N and way better than Emgo. They also haven't crushed in like Ive seen from most others. They are also BONDED and not just popped together, so no chance of sand getting in or one flying off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:49 pm 

After extensive testing with my H1, the UNIs work so much better than the backed pleated gauze style, it was not even a question when I bought filters for the H2, now if you went all the way and bought velocity stacks (plumbing elbows) you would notice a nice gain in the lower-midrange of the powerband.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:23 pm 

Joe,
I trashed the original Uni's messing around with your hair brained velocity stack project which works amazingly well.
I used straight Fernco rubber plumbing adapters (about 3" long) and will only remove to experiment with a reeded motor which is a ways out of my financial future.
I've got some Garolite tubing to replace the rubber for a better look but need new filters as what was left of the Uni's is cable tied onto the tubes. :banghead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:21 pm 

Jim C wrote:
Joe,
your hair brained velocity stack project which works amazingly well.
. :banghead

I think that is an endorsement!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:26 pm 

Ordered mine today, good price.

http://www.repairmanual.com/online/uni-filter-2-stage-angle-pod-air-filter-44mm-id-x-102mm-144183/

UNI FILTER 2-STAGE ANGLE POD AIR FILTER 44mm ID x 102mm
Price: $13.74 US Dollars + (Shipping)
Part Number: 144183