Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:18 am 

I'm in the middle of a master cylinder brake rebuild on my H2. I had some leakage near the brake lever and a spongy pull on the lever before so I knew I had issues that needed resolving. I've also flushed the old DOT3 fluid out of the lines by rubbing alcohol and have cleaned and blown out all lines and parts in the caliper with compressed air. I'm converting to silicone based DOT5 fluid since I've changed the handlebars to superbike style ones thus placing the master cylinder closer to the paint work. I have the master cylinder disassembled and have cleaned the bore with both the baby bottle brush/ soft scrub and green scotchbrite on the wooden dowel methods. I have Mid- Atlantic's m/c rebuild kit so I know it's a good one. I've read and studied both the Kawasaki H Series and Glenn's manuals for the reassembly. The part that I need help in understanding placement is the C or U shaped piece called the STOPPER 43022-001 (#8) on the H2 parts fische. Does this piece free float in the assembly order or does it fit around the groove near the end of the piston in the m/c bore? I think it's there to stop travel of the m/c bore when lever is fully engaged, is that correct? Thanks for help on orientation and correct placement of this piece!

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:40 am 
Site Admin

The "stopper" is a part of the piston asm that slides within the bore.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:56 am 

mraxl wrote:
The "stopper" is a part of the piston asm that slides within the bore.

Dale,

Glenn's refers to this C or U shaped clip part (part in question) as the piston retainer OR piston stopper washer. The exploded parts diagram on pg 158 (Glenn's) calls it a piston retainer, then on pg 161 it calls it a piston stopper washer as it says in the reassembly instructions to "drop the piston stopper washer in behind the piston". To me, that sounds like it would be seperate and not connected to the piston or in a groove. The H manual refers to the part as stopper, piston (pgs 71 and 74). It's the part between the end of the piston and the snap ring. H series manual says "after piston assembly first insert the stopper and put the snap ring in the groove after insertion" (pg. 73) Am I overthinking it? :)

RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:16 am 
Site Admin

As I recall, the part in question slides over the piston rod and then as the rod approaches the end of travel it butts against the retaining ring as a "stopper". If it were loose in the cylinder it could become cocked or fall crossways in the bore. The slot in the "stopper" is there to fit over the rod.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure I will be corrected by someone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 am 

That makes much sense to me Dale to place that piece over the groove on the piston. I'm not sure or not if I did that before??? :eh: I really want to get it all back together to try out the Ivan's jet kit and the new Bandit superbike bars as well as improved braking capability however, I am slow and methodical in my mechanical work/ ability. :| Thank you for your help here! 8-)

RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:10 am 

JayDav wrote:
1. go to ebay and search ex500 master cylinder :crazy:

2. buy it :o

3. install it :problem:

4. Be happy :thumbup:

That is how I rebuild my H1/H2 master cylinders :wave:

That would solve and resolve the issue for sure Jay! But...... I would lose my right side mirror boss on the perch and I personally like the look of stock location mirrors (both on bike). :ugeek: I bought some used cheap KZ400 master cylinders off ebay (which are very close in appearance to stock H2 ones) but they are in pretty rough shape internally as I'm having a tough time getting the guts out of both! :think: Has anyone else rebuilt a stock H2 master recently that can chime in on the U shaped clip needing to fit along that piston bore groove? :eh:

RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:50 am 

Evans, I have an H2 MS that needs rebuilding, so I took it apart just now. The U-shaped "Piston Stopper" goes in just before you install the circlip, and gets trapped between the circlip and the shoulder where the piston bore starts. It is firmly held there, and is stationary to the main MS casting. It is really just a washer that provides more bearing area for the soft piston to bump into when you release the lever, as well as a steel non-wear surface to contact the circlip.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:34 am 

Jim wrote:
Evans, I have an H2 MS that needs rebuilding, so I took it apart just now. The U-shaped "Piston Stopper" goes in just before you install the circlip, and gets trapped between the circlip and the shoulder where the piston bore starts. It is firmly held there, and is stationary to the main MS casting. It is really just a washer that provides more bearing area for the soft piston to bump into when you release the lever, as well as a steel non-wear surface to contact the circlip.

:thumbup: Yes, that's exactly what Mark (Iron) told me in a phone conversation this morning! I'm all set now so thanks to both of you!! :D :clap:

RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:31 am 
Site Admin

Evans, sorry for leading you astray :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:36 am 

mraxl wrote:
Evans, sorry for leading you astray :oops: :oops: :oops:

No problem Dale. :thumbup: You didn't lead me astray and I would have probably figured it out when I started putting parts back together. You're a good man and I appreciate you! :)

RIP John E. Evans