Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:49 pm 

Chamber on the chain saw? Impressive! I grew up in Iowa Oak tree country......but never had a saw like that! You guys Rock!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:22 pm 

Update: The cylinder base gaskets, which are doubled, maybe tripled, are leaking. They are leaking so bad a pressure test to check the crank seals would be a waste of time. I will replace the gaskets and then psi test crank seals. The heads have also been shaved quite a bit. My friend Willi is working on it and I will keep everyone up to date. No wonder she won't wind up!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:20 pm 

Here's the news, the porting specs resemble the denco 140hp range. It'll be running in the next few weeks. Polishing and painting going on. I am sure 140 hp is way wishful thinking with antiquated 36 mikunis and the sucky pipes. It will be interesting that's all I know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:47 pm 

It's wishful thinking with the best carbs and pipes. :P I'll be interested in hearing how streetable that porting is. Reeds may be in your future.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:16 pm 

This just in, the porting sucks for the street. Total pig till 6000 rpm then it pulls like a freight train. I'm doing reeds or a stock top end eventually. The easiest way to explain the motor is slow then speeding ticket, slow then speeding ticket. No in between. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining. I think it's a blast to ride.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:37 am 

sawracer wrote:
This just in, the porting sucks for the street. Total pig till 6000 rpm then it pulls like a freight train. I'm doing reeds or a stock top end eventually. The easiest way to explain the motor is slow then speeding ticket, slow then speeding ticket. No in between. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining. I think it's a blast to ride.

Are you still running severely cut pistons after lowering your cylinders? If so, you now probably have way too much intake duration, hence the crappy bottom end power...

J

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:16 pm 

Yes I am. I bought a shtload of copper gaskets so I can raise it So you are saying that is worth a try? I can do that easy.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:28 pm 

That would lower the compression. It might be worth trying pistons without the skirt cut.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:37 pm 

sawracer wrote:
Yes I am. I bought a shtload of copper gaskets so I can raise it So you are saying that is worth a try? I can do that easy.

Unless you spring for new pistons you are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place with these modded (shortened/decked) cylinders.

As I recall seeing in your pics the tops of your cylinders appear to have been decked a considerable amount by the PO likely to correct compression lost (to make up for the thick base gaskets). By you lowering the cylinders in an attempt to get closer to stock port timing the compression pressure has now likely gotten too high, even with stock heads. This will cause detonation issues. Also now your intake timing has even more duration as previously noted, which on its own tends to kill bottom end power.

I suggest you re-install the thicker base gaskets (will reduce intake duration), fit heads that allow around 155 lbs compression with a 1mm squish gap (possibly the heads that it came with?).

By going back to what it had when you got the bike it will likely pull even harder on top and hopefully give back some bottom power, due to the reduced intake timing and increased transfer timing that will result.

Lastly, fitting a longer intake (like plumbers pipe) between the carbs and the pod filters has been reported to greatly help improve mid range ride ability.

J

Edit, Alternately you could fit uncut pistons and have heads re-cut to get the compression to work with your decked cylinders (assuming the exhaust port was not raised too much).

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:47 pm 

sawracer wrote:
Piss poor plug chop, I live in the burbs.
The chambers measure 11.5 " diameter at their largest point.

a simple method if you have acess to a lathe is to cut the thread off then its clear to see or you can hacksaw it off.
( more effort with same result).
plugs are quite cheap and it makes it a bunch eaasier to read.
cheers mark

73 KAWASAKI H1 (Sold).
82 YAMAHA RD350LC
2000 KAWI KDX200H
2001 Triumph TT600

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next