Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:45 pm 

Everyone has his favorite. From memory, these are in current production:

Jemco
Spec II
Higgspeed
Proflo (or something similar sold by FBG)
WTF (cone kits by Walms, on this board)
Denco (reproductions by me)

I'm sure I missed something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:15 am 

sawracer wrote:
What brand is the best pipes? Taking into consideration this is no daily commuter and barely legal noise is ok.

I vote Denco; good torque down low and resonably high max RPM
No point getting pipes until you get the thing running right; as mentioned by others, if the baffle is clean (or removed) the bike still has a serious problem that will need to be found and repaired before aftermarket items can be succesfully used (IMO & IME; not trying to be a preacher but have been down this road and trying to save you time and $$)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Here is one guy's opinion... there are surely many that differ.

First you need to know what you have in the way of porting. The only way to know is to pull the cyl and do a port map. It can be seen that someone has been grinding. How much and where can be a factor in selecting pipes.

Porting will generally rob low end torque for added high end performance. A "fat" pipe can help restore low end performance without being detrimental to high end performance.

There is also an issue of cosmetics as the pipes mentioned have different looks.

How you ride and where is also a factor. Riding in town traffic with stop and go is better suited for one type of pipe rather than one that is normally run at hiway speeds.

So, it is largely a degree of rider preference but tempered by what, if any, porting is done to the motor.

Wirges are the least desirable and they were made with and without an internal baffle. If what you have has an internal baffle, it can clog and cutting it open is the only way to clear it. JA mentioned knocking out the plug with a broom stick or such and that can help.

It would be much easier to deal with all your issues if stock porting was present. Porting can be good or bad depending how and what was done. It can help or hinder performance but the main thing is to find out exactly what you have first or you can spend a lot of time and money for nothing.

Before you pull the cyls do a leakdown test. Otherwise, unless you plan to have the crank rebuilt it will still be a guessing game about crank seals.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:28 pm 

Leak down test? Do I make block off plates for the intake and exhaust and put the squeeze ball to it? How much psi and for how long should it hold? Engine warm?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

sawracer wrote:
Leak down test? Do I make block off plates for the intake and exhaust and put the squeeze ball to it? How much psi and for how long should it hold? Engine warm?

You really need to test vacuum and pressure. Don't use more than 6 psi, it should hold for 6 minutes. They may hold, but for how long? And yes block off the intake and exhausts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/cranksealtes ... altest.htm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:46 am 

I was just lazy when I did my H2c, had it running, took it to Brian H....... WAY BETTER.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:04 pm 

Farming it out sometimes is the best way! I don't know any locals I trust with it at this point and I have some time ( let me re state that, I'm not in a hurry).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:40 pm 

sawracer wrote:
I used to. Haven't been to a competition in at least five years. It is tough living in so cal to get wood to practice with if you don't speak Spanish. One of these days I'll set something up here and see who shows up.

Not to hijack your thread but did I hear chainhsaw????

I have a few

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:39 pm 

Those are some sweet money makers! Wish I would of got a pic of mine post chrome and powder. Full house mcculloch 91b1 kart engine in a 1957 Mac super 44 chassis with an Art Martin chain. One of the few toys I wish I never sold.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next