Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 750 speed recipe?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:20 am 

My recent purchase 750 has lackluster performance. I was wondering if we could post sure fire recipes/ combos for performance. I want my h2 to run like it's reputation. Smoking and sounding bad is lots of fun and damn near worth the price of admission but truth be told I have a RD 400 that feels as stout. So that being said if you have a 10 second bike I want to hear what it took etc. What's the skinny on a clean running fast H2? Thanks a lot, this newbie appreciates your help.

Post subject: Re: 750 speed recipe?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:40 am 

A lackluster H2 :o maybe its tired did ya give a good soup to nuts tune up? How about compression maybe it needs some fresh rings :idea: how about those exhaust baffles are they choked with a nasty mess?

1974 Yamaha RD350

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:36 am 

Yep, get the basics right, (Have a base-line to work with), then it's this for a street H2. Mikuni VM34's. Exhaust ports raised a couple of mm. A set of Jim Hobb's Denco "copies" ( I use the term loosely!) and you have a street bike with 85-90 H.P. at streetable revs, and lots of mid-range grunt. It is a start........! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:55 am 
Site Admin

"Lackluster" performance could be for a couple of reasons...
1- Too high an expectation
2- A tired or not properly setup engine

For #1 - Have you ever ridden another 750 for comparison?
For #2 - Have you checked compression?.... Made a leak down check?..... Cleaned carbs & properly adjusted them?...... Cleaned & repacked baffles/pipes?.... Checked timing?

These bikes are 40yrs old and most have been thru a lot of hands with a lot of unknowns accumulated. A guy would be awfully lucky to buy an H2 that is properly setup off the internet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:40 am 

And whan was the last time you got awfully lucky? Anyone? :e11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:49 am 

mraxl wrote:

These bikes are 40yrs old and most have been thru a lot of hands with a lot of unknowns accumulated. A guy would be awfully lucky to buy an H2 that is properly setup off the internet.

:clap: . :clap: . :clap: . :clap: . :clap: . :clap: . :clap: . :clap: . :clap:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:13 am 

I agree with all the above and believe that your bike is not running even close to correctly if an RD400 is as quick (I'm talking straight line performance and not through the twisties).

A properly running stock H2 with chambers is fast and will feel very fast with stock brakes, suspension, and set up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:49 am 

Jim C wrote:
I agree with all the above and believe that your bike is not running even close to correctly if an RD400 is as quick (I'm talking straight line performance and not through the twisties).

A properly running stock H2 with chambers is fast and will feel very fast with stock brakes, suspension, and set up.

I agree, it would need to be a pretty special 400... I've ridden even an old clapped out H2 with Denco's and she was no slouch. I can't comment on the bikes compression but she sounded like a coffee can full of marbles... :lol:

http://kawatriple.com/wtf/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:06 pm 

You guys are right, I am just wondering if my part selection is even capable of running right. I guess the consensus is fine tuning, hard earned, not a selection of parts. I am including a pic of the carbs. The throat outside dia is 66mm, haven't had them off to measure any more accurately.
One of these days I'm gonna grow a pair and let my wife know I bought it so I can play with it when she's home! Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Usually happens, the real thing is not near the Legend. Add in, the crank, tranny, clutch and bores need to be redone 99% of the time. Than add in most don't know how to jet for chambers, and you get the "bummers"..... :wtf:

And I can see a RD Giving a old H2 a run for the money in the first couple of gears.

Time to start checking things out, compression, timing and such.....