Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Gear Lever Bolt
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:17 pm 

There are two different versions of the shifter stop pin.

First version was a straight pin, and when it went in, depending on just where the two lengths of shift spring hit, set the distance for both down and up shift by stopping the fork in its cutaway for the pin. IF the pin were bent a little, and/or the spring stopped the lever offset from the center of the slot, then, shifting one way would be great, the other, could cause missed shifts.

Along came the F series bikes, and with them a new, offset ended shifter stop pin. the offset would allow the shifter lever to be adjusted centered, to make sure up and down shifts were centered and no over/under shifting occurred.

If you notice the F series offset pin moves the shift lever when the pin is rotated. To correctly set the pin, remove the clutch and the end cover from the shift drum, so visual access to the shifter pins in the end of the drum are visualized.

Now, with the pin rotating, center the claw that pulls/pushes the pins ON THE PINS in the end of the drum, and lock the stop nut on the pin down. This should give you the same distance from the pins when the lever is moved one way and the other.

I spoke with Dale not long ago, said I wanted to make a few how to videos for the new site, and this one is going to be one topic I do this winter, along with correctly setting ignition timing with a timing light for the electronic ignitions, and for the points systems with dwell meter and timing light, carb synch, oil pump setting, oil line check valve pressure relief setting and priming, and other issues that are always asked about. Winter here should be busy.

There is a John Ulrich story about shifter stop pins. When the CB550 4's came along, the 500 4's were already in production for a few years, and John bought a test bike from American Honda's fleet, wouldn't down shift. John consulted groups of people, replaced the ENTIRE transmission, shifter, forks, drum clutch and a bunch of other things, still no shifting cigar. So, one day, I ran into him at LeBard and Underwood in La Habra, Ca., and he told me his shifting tale of woe. He had already put about a grand in parts into this thing. We took my truck back to his house in La Mirada and I told him to pull the clutch cover, clutch off as well. While he was working on doing that, he had a Honda trials bike, the TL125 there for testing for Cycle News, so, I rode it all over his neighborhood while he was working on the 500. When he got the cover and clutch off the bike, I saw the problem straight off. We went back to LeBog and Underpower, and purchased a shifter stop pin, a whopping dollar and a quarter, and went back, put it in, reassembled the whole mess, and, magic, it shifted great. Seems the bike had some sort of issue with the shifter lever on the outside of the trans, fell over, bent the pin. He was just amazed, his experts had cost him over a grand, and all it took to fix it was less than two bucks in one pin. Never overlook the small stuff, no matter who tells you it isn't hurt/broken/bent, and, check everything, twice, three times.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 am 

Thanks very much for the replies! I should have mentioned this is an S series motor (with upper and lower claw). The confusing issue to me is that the stop pin is threaded, and has a slot for length adjustment. Winding it in or out makes no difference to the position of the claw(s) that I can see. It would make sense if the pin shaft was a lobe, then it would change the "at rest" position of the claws...Oh well, I'll just lock the jamb nut and that's it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Zambia wrote:
Thanks very much for the replies! I should have mentioned this is an S series motor (with upper and lower claw). The confusing issue to me is that the stop pin is threaded, and has a slot for length adjustment. Winding it in or out makes no difference to the position of the claw(s) that I can see. It would make sense if the pin shaft was a lobe, then it would change the "at rest" position of the claws...Oh well, I'll just lock the jamb nut and that's it.

The slot is for a screw driver to hold the shaft while you tighten the nut.... There is no "in-out" adjustment, just screw it in. (not including the cammed ones)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:44 am 

Ja-Moo wrote:
Zambia wrote:

The slot is for a screw driver to hold the shaft while you tighten the nut.... There is no "in-out" adjustment, just screw it in. (not including the cammed ones)

Told you it was a dumb question! :lol:

Thee are no dumb questions, just dumb blondes........ :lol: :lol: :lol: