Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oily H1.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:11 pm 

I have a friend over here (Australia) with a pristine, Concours winning H1, '69, points model. It has been assembled with the greatest of care and advice. The issue is - it over oils really badly, this is with the pump adj. cut back and running B8HS plugs. A 30 mile ride will see new plugs wet and black. The unusual thing is this happens on the Right and Centre cylinder only, the Left is fine! (I would have thought the Right only may be prone to over-oiling?! :think: ) The oil pump has had new seals and careful re-assembly. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this issue? If it was all 3 over-oiling, or just the Right, I'd have more to work with!

Post subject: Re: Oily H1.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:37 pm 

Is there any chance that it's running too rich, maybe worse on the C and R cylincers, and that's making it seem like the problem is too much oil? If the problem is floats sticking for example, the symptoms will be worst at idle, and really wet the plugs just before you shut it off to check them. That's happened to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:26 pm 

Thanks Jim, I hadn't considered that, it gives us something to work with!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:15 am 

Rod, every time I read the list of thread titles I see your pun. I just wanted to acknowledge your effort. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:35 pm 

Jim wrote:
Rod, every time I read the list of thread titles I see your pun. I just wanted to acknowledge your effort. :lol:

Why, thank you ver' much, Jim, I hope retirement is fitting you well!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:42 pm 

RODH2 wrote:

Thanks Rod. I'm busier than ever, and happy to be. Today I retorqued the head bolts on the 289 Ford in my 1967 Correct Craft Mustang after some engine work. It should be in the water a time or two before the cold season. Or maybe during the cold season. :)

What's keeping you busy?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:48 am 

Jim wrote:
RODH2 wrote:

Thanks Rod. I'm busier than ever, and happy to be. Today I retorqued the head bolts on the 289 Ford in my 1967 Correct Craft Mustang after some engine work. It should be in the water a time or two before the cold season. Or maybe during the cold season. :)

What's keeping you busy?

Cheers Jim.. A move to the Country (done) and a bit of self-sustenance is the current project. Space and time! The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club is having its National Rally in Nuriootpa, South Australia, in the Famous Barossa Valley next March and my H2 will feature, to a greater or lesser extent! (You may quote me!) I can combine my Kawasaki experience with my great knowledge of wine, not at the same time, understand! I will try and post some pics on this blessed anti-deluvian site in the near future, meantime I am keeping up with the crazy European Triples guys on the site that shall not be mentioned! Oh BTW, We caught up with Barry Boulier and Liz in Adelaide for a very brief but cool visit, Triples will prevail!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:59 pm 

Oil pump set too high on wheel (we used to cut a groove in the line and back the cable to it, lessening the pump output.

Right and center, two possibilities, one is the O ring on the end cap, service bulletin in the resources pages.

The other, the release pressures in the oil pump lines, too low. A simple air pressure check (HAND PUMP ONLY, NOT AIR COMPRESSOR), and stretch the spring until the release pressure on the check valve is 4.6 PSI, NO LESS. Make a banjo bolt with nut, use two sealing washers, and with line DRY, no oil, gently hand pressure the line, listen for the valve release sound. To reset, unscrew the banjo off the oil line, stretch spring GENTLY, reassemble, recheck. 4.6 PSI.

Also, keep checking the transmission fluid level, right and center crankcases share case with transmission, case leak, trans oil will get sucked into the crankshaft area. We used to add an ounce of Castrol R to the trans, smelled like race day, cases leaking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:05 am 

Thanks for those tips Dave, we will add that to the list of possibilities! :thumbup: