Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:59 am 

(I cannot be online often during Day, so I haven't researched Forum Much). Was just cranking up my'77 KH400 (try to at least start once a month). Bike warming up. My OLD mind 'went' to my recently sold H1 and thought I was selecting First by "pulling UP" on lever, sitting still. Never done That before! Realized what I did immediately and tried to push Down, thru neutral for First gear, but it won't go out of what I think is still 2nd gear. Not being rough with it, until I hear comments. Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:31 am 

Maybe the clutch is dragging a little, making it hard to shift. Did you try taking off in 2nd gently to see if it will then go into neutral and the other gears?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:44 pm 

Has the bike tipped over on the left side? If so, it might have bent the shifter stop pin upwards, not allowing the shift claw to reset to move the drum, which shifts the gear.

With the engine off, you on the bike, clutch engaged, NOT pulled in, rock the bike back and forth, while trying to shift it.

Does it even try to go into a different gear when the shift lever is both raised, or lowered?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:37 pm 

Thanks guys! But can one Start a stock KH "in gear"? (do i falsely recall, triples having to be in Neutral to start?). And thankfully the bike has Not fallen over in the 15 years I've owned it. And I was wanting to read that gently 'rocking' it, clutch out, could possibly help. (And Jim thanks again, as years back I bought your excellent low speed coil(s) for This bike). I bought a 2nd back up also. I will try these tips out Saturday! Gracias Gang!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:30 am 

Sorry to have wasted your time. We still have no idea if the transmission shifts. What I outlined, would have told us.

But, everybody says I don't know anything about these bikes, guess they know more than me.

So, sorry to have wasted your time. I'll just quietly do today's work here, finish the resto of my own 7th H2-R project.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:36 am 
Site Admin

The s series have a centrifical lock in the trans. Try push starting the bike to get it running and see if it will shift with engine running.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:50 pm 

From my membership Years ago, I recognize I've gotten several Experienced member' replies. I did not mean to "under-communicate". Temp is finally below the upper 90s here, so finally will get KH out and try all above answers. Being a skinny 70 year old, I'll see how likely I can 'push-start' it, or wait on a buddy. thx again, Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:54 pm 

You guys are great. Found neutral and first gear again. Test drive was normal too. I ended up succeeding with the tip of 'gently rocking with clutch engaged/lever out'. (That was mostly in my Effort to get bike Out of garage). I'll end msg. with a lil history. I bought this nice '77 fifteen+ years back from a former member Wayne Meuir (e. of Dallas). I have failed to keep up with the 'older' Wayne, so I hope he's still with us? My prize bike was a '70 red H1 which I had bought from the Original buyer 25+ years ago. I also had a Lakeland CDI on it. It was on its original rings AND crank seals (exc. the RH seal) so ran about 85% strong. (24,000 miles.) I sold H1 recently to Don Foote, a friend, so that I Might be able to 'keep up' or maybe ride again some day? Have a safe weekend!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:58 pm 

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad you got it solved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:37 pm 

Hi All,

If nothing else I'm going to look at the shift linkage, pin, drum and stuff inside the case next chance I get.
May be nothing but mine shifts fine on the road but only goes in first rolling the wheel while on a stand back wheel off ground.

It says I haven't logged in since may 2013 and its good to see the forum going strong.

Luke