Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crank seals
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:30 pm 

Hello everybody!
I suspect my bike needs new crankshaft seals, it idles and revs fine and actually rides nice for about 30 seconds
and then bogs down once the engine warms up. I had the ignition replaced through this forum about 10 years ago.
I have the original carbs and jets that were thoroughly cleaned out. Since i cant verify if the seals were ever replaced
i was thinking about replacing the outer seals only. If i can get away without replacing the interior seals is my goal hopefully.
Is there a video on this site that can walk me through the process of replacing the outer seals? Thanks everyone!

Post subject: Re: Crank seals
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:26 pm 

Bogging when warm isn't a symptom of leaking seals, it's more of a symptom of too-rich jetting. Have you done any carb work to it recently? Are the jets genuine Mikuni?

I don't mean to say it doesn't need crank seals though. If your right seal is leaking, your transmission oil level will be going down, and if your left seal is leaking you'll smell gasoline if you open the alternator cover.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:50 pm 

Somebody beat me to it! Seals look good! ill have to dig deeper. Thanks for the advise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:56 pm 

From my experiences with the triples, I DO NOT recommend trying to replace the outside seals by prying them out and hammering the new ones into place.

Why? well, those seals ARE NOT designed to insert like a vertically split case, which have a different design seal and a set full circle seal race n the cases.

Our triples have seal bores that are designed to clamp the seal in place, and the seal is not designed to be inserted when the cases are together, they are designed to be set into place in one case half, then the other half clamps the seal in place.

Just the way it works correctly for me, never had a seal seating problem doing it by case split method.