Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: H2 Cylinder Question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:32 pm 

Just looking at the cylinders I removed from my H2 project bike compared to another set I have in my shop. The project bike cylinders were re-sleeved by they first owner with 74/75 model sleeves. The sleeve walls are quite a bit thicker. I also noticed that the cut outs for the transfer ports are about 1/4" more shallow on the re-sleeved cylinders. Just wondering what affect this has on performance?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: H2 Cylinder Question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:40 pm 

It's normal that replacement sleeves are thicker than the stock cast-in sleeves. They do make the transfer tunnels narrower, which does change the flow. My guess is that you wouldn't notice it in real-life street riding. The cutout height makes even less difference.

Port timing and port area are very important though. Have you measured the ports? Looking at the cylinder on the left, with the sharpened transfer septum, I would expect the ports to be non-stock.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:48 am 

Good eye Jim!
Someone has definitely spent time working on the ports. Looks like most of the work was spent contouring the intakes. I measured the height and width inside the cylinders and didn't see much difference from the spare set I am comparing them to. (didn't take the time to get the specs and do an exact measurement). Also the piston skirts are raised 4mm on the intake side. This bike has always bucked like a bronco at light to mid throttle and goes like hell at WOT. So this winter I sent the crank to Charlie for new seals and I'm replacing the pistons. I've also done away with the pods and fitted a stock airbox. (My boy racer days are behind me). This summer I'll address the tune and shoot for a bike that's a bit more enjoyable to ride around the back roads here in Morgantown.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:49 am 

And here's the exhaust

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:05 am 

Check port widths and heights against specs on the resource site to see what you really have. Half a millimeter on the transfer height is quite noticeable, for example. You my find that pistons with less intake modification will be much more streetable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:09 am 

:thumbup: