Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:35 pm 

I've been building a H2B and am finally putting the motor together. I got the clutch side done and was fitting the cover when I came across a problem. The side cover that came with the motor was pretty beat up so I bought another to replace it. It fit nicely and when I was putting in the very last screw it didn't fit! WTF! I've attached two photos showing the location and a closeup of the problem. It seems that the screw is misaligned by about 2mm (low) and just won't thread in. The bolt right next to it is only about 17mm (fat half inch) away, and all the other bolts fit fine. I thought the case might have been dented but since the other bolt right next to it is fine I ruled that out. The screw/bolt that doesn't fit is one of that two long bolts that hold the oil pump cover in place.

So, are there a couple of version of the clutch side cover that have just one bolt hole in a different location? Everything else lines up fine; kick start shaft, shift shaft, pump drive gear, the 2 alignment pins and every other bolt. I can't think of another reason for the misalignment.

Totally confused,

Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:09 am 

I just checked the two parts manuals I have, one for the 72 and one for the 74. SOB's made different parts for the two years. And the only difference seems to be the position of that one screw! I guess they made the change because of the different oil pump.

Now to find a later side cover. The hard part is figuring out who is selling the correct part.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:30 am 

I have used early and late clutch covers on my H2s, never noticed a difference.
Are you sure you've not got a location dowel in the casings and the clutch cover?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:04 pm 

I think I'd figure out a way to remove enough aluminum from that long hole to allow the bolt to go in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:49 pm 

I took the side cover and tried it on an early (low number) 72 motor upper case half and it fit fine. Rats, now I have to figure out how to distinguish between old and new covers. I don't know how well sellers are going to respond to me asking them to measure the distance between those two bolt holes. That 2mm does make a difference. I don't think I want to oversize the hole but I guess it's an option (maybe.) What would Allen do?

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:37 pm 

The long hole doesn't need to be modified at the bolt head end. It just needs a tapered modification that makes the hole oval by 2mm at the engine end. That shouldn't be hard to do with a Dremel tool and a long shank burr. As an example: https://www.amazon.com/AYSUM-Double-Tun ... B094ZKJS2Q