Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Glued clutch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:02 pm 

Yeddy911 wrote:
The engine running and with the clutch pulled first gear can be engaged, wouldn't that indicate the clutch plates are releasing? If the clutch plates were sticking together wouldn't it stall as soon as it was put in gear, not when the clutch lever was released?
Also, with the engine off and a gear engaged, even if the clutch was glued together, pushing the bike it should move a bit along with the engine rotating a little.

It looks like you're the only one who didn't speed-read the original post. Yes, if the engine was running and kept running when the transmission was put into first gear, the clutch plates are not stuck together. The only think I can think of that would stall the engine when the clutch is then engaged is the transmission being in two gears at once, or something else that locks it. That assumes the bike can be moved with the engine off and the transmission in neutral.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:19 am 

I'm sorry but maybe there was a translation error. The engine fires perfectly, but if I pull the clutch lever and put it in gear, like I release the clutch lever, the engine cuts out abruptly. I start the engine, pull the lever, engage the gear, release the lever and the engine stops.
sorry again.
Paola

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:21 am 

If the engine is running and you are able to put the transmission in gear without the engine stopping immediately, the clutch is working OK.

If the clutch plates are stuck together and the engine is running, then you pull the clutch lever to the bar, as soon as you shift into gear the bike would lurch forward and the engine would stall, even though you are still holding the clutch lever to the bar.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:50 am 

Just do what was outlined.

Pry as plates apart as you can. Fire engine up, get it warm. Pull the clutch lever all the way back to the handlebar. NOW, roll the bike forward, you in place on it, and move the shifter to low vear. YES, the bike will lurch/move forward, so be ready to rid it.

Ride, WITH THE CLUTCH LEVER HELD AGAINT THE HANDLEBAR, until the clutch breaks loose.

Simple as that

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:48 pm 

Not sure what the problem is but if the engine still runs with the bike in gear and the clutch lever pulled in, the clutch is not sticking. If you let the clutch out in gear gradually and the bike does not start to move bringing the engine to a stop then the transmission is jammed. If the transmission is shimmed incorrectly this can happen or there is another reason.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:19 pm 

It may well start to work properly with the procedure given, but if it were me I would get a new gasket and take the side cover off. You could see what was going on inside and be easier to work on the problem. That way you can really get a look and see if the clutch is worn and needs replacement, or find if there is another problem.
Then again, I like working on bikes almost as much as riding them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:44 am 

Any update on this?