Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Issue gear H2
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:02 pm 

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:57 pm 

Another thing to research is the difference in the actual claw that "catches" the pins in the shift drum between the stock H series shift shafts, and H1-R / H2-R.

As we know, stock H has open ends for the claws. S series and H - racers have claws that circle around the pins in the shift drums. So do the large series F series claws. When Kawasaki made the H racer claws, they were simply stock F claws, pinned to the stock H street bike shift shafts, instant overshift stopper setup.

If you look at the various claws in the parts pages, you should "get it" right off. Alarmingly simple.

Note, even the F and H racer claws still need the adjustable stop pin, look at them too, it is all in the pictures.

To show how important the stop pin is, here is a decades old Honda CB550 and John Ulrich event. John worked at Cycle News, rode bikes, no car. He was given a new CB550 test bike, had a problem, shifted great one direction, wouldn't shift the other way. I ran into John one Saturday, at La Habra Honda dealer Lebard & Underwood (we all called it "Le-Bogg & Under-Power". He was buying the rest of the clutch and shifter parts for the 550, trying to fix it.

He was relying on rides, and his left without him. We took my truck back to his house, left the last 2 parts at L & Be I set him to work getting to the shifter behind the clutch, and rode a Honda 250 Trials bike all over his front yard. When he got down to the shifter, I saw the problem instantly. We got back in the truck, back to L & B, and bought a $2.18 plus tax shifter stop pin. We went back and put the new pin in, removing the bent one, John put the thing back together, shifted like brand new.

He said he had changed everything, asked everybody, got nowhere. Two things gave it right away for me, confirming the stop pin was bent, from the damage marks on the shift lever where the bike had fallen over, off its side stand, before Job got it.

He still hates me relating this story, he asked everybody, replaced every part, and I come up, see the problem, relay repairs while trials bike riding, still makes him crazy.

Chechen the claw centering, claw center spring, stop pin. Heck, I may be serious wrong!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:12 am 

Yeah John Ulrich is one of those guys who you might think knows everything (or at least a lot) about repairing Japanese bikes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:58 am 

This is very important information for which I have to give you a huge thank you both for your kindness in sharing it and for its value. Thank you very much. :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:43 am 

Hi H2RT, this is my situation, what do you see strange. Thank you
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:09 am 

If you look at the shift shaft, there is a window with a spring at about 2 'o clock in the arm. The pin Dave is referring to sits between the springs, and the edges of the window serve as stops for the rotation of the shaft, which determines how far the claw moves. If this pin is bent, the claw will move too far in one direction and not enough in the other, causing your missed shifts.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:27 am 

John is very capable, writer, mechanic. He was being bombarded by a bunch of "know it all's", and that bike was to be his only transport. I am glad I could help him get it dialed.

Now, if someone might post a picture of the offset F pin, please......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:45 am 

Attachment:
804F4FFD-4D45-40DC-9C17-CA47B7AB1532.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Jeff and Chris are THE MEN!”
RIP John E. Evans

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:50 pm 

I'm so glad you posted the pictures. My H2 is not shifting properly. I think it's something else like a shift fork but I'll take a look at the shift claw first before I remove the engine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:33 pm 

Here is the standard H2 pin, you can see it has just one straight diameter...

Attachment:
Shift pin5.jpg

This is the F6 pin, it has an offset "head" so you can adjust the position by turning it, then I believe it has a lock nut...

Attachment:
Shift pin4.jpg

This pic shows the offset better, different angles on each...

Attachment:
Shift pin3.jpg