Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:08 pm 

JUst installed a reconditioned oil pump on m y H1 this winter and I have finally had the H1 running this season and I have a few questions regarding the oil pump and system.
Since putting on about 100km I noticed some air bubble in one of the oil lines and one in the main line from tank to pump. I have enclosed a photo.
I had all the lines filled with oil before assembly and had no evidence of bubbles. Filled the pump as well. Now on the second to last ride I noticed a distinct lack of smoke from the exhaust. Could be normal I thought as I tuned the engine Ignition with a timing light and nailed it.
I pulled the cover and found a big air bubble in the main line going to the brass inlet on the pump and the far left oil line had a small bubble in it as well.
Fixed all those issues draining and filling and I am using the stato seal washers.
Started the bike and held the oil pump open wider than idle for a bit and then went for about 10km warm up. Bike runs well. Came back and right after shutting it down while looking at the oil line ( I had the cover removed) i noticed a good sized bubble slowly appear out of the oil pump fitting and move to the spot as it shows in the photo. This isn’t normal is it? Thought the air was coming in from a leak in the line to spigot but I sealed it up and it did it again.
Any thoughts on how this would be happening from the pump?
Thanks in advance.

Gary.
Attachment:
IMG_9779 copy.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Capt. on Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:13 pm 

That's why Kawasaki originally used black tubing for the oil lines. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:01 am 

Have you checked the filter at the oil tank? I fi t's plugged and the pump has a hard time drawing oil the line might be under vacuum.

Just a guess,

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:54 am 

Yes, that's a good thing to check.

Why does it look like there are two washers under the banjo bolt head? Are you using seal washers like Stat-O-Seals, or are those the stock aluminum ones?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:50 am 

The filter in the oil tank has been out when paint was done. It's clean and open for sure. When the oil line is disconnected from the tank oil flows freely.
I know, it looks like two washers on the banjo, but no, just one stat o seal washer and the fiber is on the inside to the pump.
Cannot figure this out. I could actually see the bubble slowly seeping out of the brass banjo and into the line......

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:07 pm 

It's hard to get the Stat-O-Seal to seal against the pump, because the banjo is counterbored there. If I remember right, using a 1/4" Stat-O-Seal there instead of 6mm helps. I'm guessing the bubble was somewhere downstream and just came up and out from gravity and vibration. You can loosen the banjo (not take it out all the way) and let the bubble come out, and see if it stays that way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:18 pm 

Thanks Jim! I will try that seal size. Going to bleed it today and see how it goes.
There are no oil leaks anywhere on the pump or at the seats with the banjo's. Dry ever where.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:20 pm 

How is the seal at the pump pulley shaft?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:31 pm 

Its brand new. I have a spare that I suppose I could replace with. Maybe apply a thin coat of gasket sealer as well?