Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:49 pm 

Thanks for the support of this unrealistic goal (as Cliff advised) :banghead . That was what I told myself too when I was applying it “just keep going, it will get lighter in time"

I took a lot of time cleaning, which resulted in widening the chipped areas :o , to be rust free, filled smoothed, masked off etc., ahead. In my case at least, the GM Green is just way too dark. What I should have done was test it first :!: I don't think the tail I am touching up is faded (Ripley’s believe it or not). Why would it be, it is only 50 years old. As explained, the tail itself is all same color even under seat for what that is worth.

I did get the/a "Flair Silver" (FS) and Candy Lime Green (CLG) in little test bottles of paint. I did the Gloss Black (GB) first, then FS, then CLG on test piece of metal this time. Much closer. One can adjust the color and shade by how you apply these layers. I am thinking new bikes may have varied from one to another due any variability with applying this process.

These Candy type paints I got are translucent and the point of them. The FS is more solid a color vs what Kawi may have used maybe and did not let GB come through much. Result is much closer, but not good enough for me to do again right now as it is a bit yellow, not perfect. The more CLM I apply, the less yellow and more green. It looks like the right green to me setting alone in the bottle? I think the Lime part of CLM, even after many coats, will still be too yellow. And/or, the FS was too light since GB did not come through much. So I ordered Candy Green and couple darker Silvers.

I think I can get this down to two steps vs three process and better for practicality of touch up needs. One step would be best! See second picture in this link, where the finger nail polish looking bottle called "Hidden Lair". That is real close to what my tail is like, at least as view on my highly color calibrated PC monitor :D.

https://www.xoxojen.com/2016/11/the-col ... green.html

This is real interesting stuff, as I am learning about painting, but too time consuming and now a back ground task as I may continue to play with blends for this to be possible. I decided to move forward putting this bike back together as where I was on this project, accept for this failure. I work too much, life keep getting in the way, I have other project to finish up too, write too long post replies… excuses I know. I use to strive for perfection each project, but I tend to keep and ride my bikes and in time, if you use them, they stop looking new regardless how much you try. Trying to justify my giving up. :oops:
This will always bug me. It is obvious even using the 15 ft. distance criteria. So expect I’ll keep trying.

It will take time and many tries I think with my luck. If I ever get it closer, I’ll reply. Maybe after many hours and cost to buy dozens of little bottles of paint, I should just have all panels repainted! They just seem too nice to do that and that has its own risks (again my past luck). Why could I not just by a touch up paint and be done? Well, it doesn’t exist, the original process was complex and may even resulted in new bikes varying in color from one to another me thinks. Possible to make some bespoke color match, sure it is. ;)

Kawasaki
1973 H1-D (New Project)
Suzuki
1974 GT250 (T350 upgrade)
1976 GT250 (T350 upgrade)
1971 T350
1970 T350 (New Project)
1974 GT380
1975 T500
1973 GT550
1975 GT750
Yamaha