Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:55 pm 

I am working on resurrecting the 69 barn find H1 I bought 7 or 8 years ago. It was parked in a barn in 1976.

As purchased it had no spark. I am guessing this is why it was parked in the first place. So far:

1. The original boxes tested bad. Replaced with one of Jim's boxes. Still no spark.
2. Signal Coil was open circuit. Replaced with a used one I bought from Jess Freeby. I now have a nice spark on the left and right cylinders but not the center cylinder.
3. Inspected the distributor cap and rotor and ohm'ed out the plug wire from the distributor cap contact in the cap to the plug cap. Have good continuity. Tried again no spark on center cylinder. Since it was a simple change to test for spark I replaced the Center Plug Wire with a new one. Still no spark on center cylinder.

I am not sure where to look next.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Be sure the plug is good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:08 pm 

mraxl wrote:
Be sure the plug is good.

I have tried it with the plugs that spark on the left and right wires.

Last edited by Simmons1 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:08 pm 

Having continuity is half of what it needs. The other half is to not have a short to ground, or a place where it arcs to ground when it tries to spark.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:24 pm 

Jim wrote:
Having continuity is half of what it needs. The other half is to not have a short to ground, or a place where it arcs to ground when it tries to spark.

With a brand new plug wire not touching anything except the plug being grounded where could it short to ground?

Could the distributor cap be bad?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:37 pm 

At this point you have to assume anything could be bad starting with and including the distributor, going to the plug.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:57 pm 

Jim wrote:
At this point you have to assume anything could be bad starting with and including the distributor, going to the plug.

4. One more piece of data. I just got done swapping the plug wires to the center and right cylinders where they attach to the distributor cap. The center wire now has spark and the right does not indicating the plug cap and wire is not the problem.

I guess this means either the distributer cap is bad,

or somehow the signal coil is only sending 2 pulses to the CDI. Is this possible and how could I check it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:06 pm 

Inspect the protrusion on the rotor to see if its gap to the SG is about the same as the other two, and that it's not mangled.

You could also put a spark plug on the wire from the coil output, grounded on something of course, and listen for even snapping sounds. It's pretty obvious if one out of three is missing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:02 pm 

Thanks.

Guess what I am doing tomorrow. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:27 pm 

Early H1 distributor caps had a number of issues, carbon brush goes bad, wire terminals carbon up, wire retainer screws corrode, wire terminals can carbon track to the clutch cover, the cap materials degrade from ozone and atmosphere changing the plastic, heat degradation, and more. Same as a car distributor cap.