Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Broken gear
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:45 pm 

So, I bought an old H2 motor, sight unseen, planning tearing it all down and rebuilding it. I had been talking with the guy for quite a while and he seemed reasonable so I wasn't suspicious. So I started tearing the motor down and immediately had trouble getting the cylinders off. Old motor (low number) and the cylinder studs were corroded, common problem, still dealing with it. Since I was having no luck getting the cylinders off I thought I'd split the case and see how the transmission was. Get the whole picture.

Turns out there was a broken gear on the output shaft. Just one from what I can tell. There are no other obvious broken parts other than the cracked shift drum and shift forks. The shift drum broke in the usual place, on the outer end with the pins. The forks probably broke from the gear chunks tumbling around.

My question is, when a gear explodes does it mess everything up or can I find a replacement and put it back together? What do I need to check?

I hear you can break trans parts by rolling backwards. (In gear, clutch pulled in?) Is this that kind of failure?

Opinions welcome.

Thanks, Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Broken gear
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:01 pm 

Never2Old wrote:
I hear you can break trans parts by rolling backwards. (In gear, clutch pulled in?) Is this that kind of failure?

No, 3rd gear is not in the kickstarter path. Are there any snap rings broken, or out of place, or missing?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 pm 

All the snap rings look good, everything else is in place. The gear that broke had 17 teeth. Part number 13137-019, top gear by the micro fiche.

Anyone have a good 13137-019 for sale?

Thanks, Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:16 pm 

Refer to the "Resources" pages, look for a Service Bulletin/FDM on 3rd gear circlip failure.

If both 3rd gear clips are still there, are they cupped, bent, broken? Do they have the "tabs" on their ID's???

Physically inspect all the gear engagement dogs and slots, if they are rounded off, the gear is junk.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:52 pm 

Gary horsman ( fast from the past ) should have new old stock gears ,he is on here good bloke ,try him ,