Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bearing/Case Clearance
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:30 pm 

I believe that I know the answer to this question, but I wanted to check with the experts.

I've rebuilt several Yamaha two-strokes so I've been inside the cases a few times. This rebuild is my first Kawasaki. I assembled and torqued my KH500 engine with new seals and rebuilt crank, but had to take it apart since I did not get the kicker wishbone into the slot in the housing (d'oh). I noticed that the red locktite I put on the crank bearings had a thickness - one or two thousandths, indicating a small clearance between the crank bearings and the cases.

Is this normal? I would imagine that there should be zero clearance here. I have a spare set of cases that I can check to see if they have a tighter fit. What should I be looking for?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:20 pm 

That's not normal. Is it possible the Loctite was hardening before you got it all together and tight? That can be a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:40 pm 

Hmmm. I put the locktite on the bearings just before I mated the case halves, so there was not any time at all before I torqued the crank bolts up.

From the Locktite site: The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces.

I think I need to crack the cases again, clean everything up, and use some plastigage to check the clearance between the bearings and case. If it shows any clearance at all, I'll try my spare cases to see if there is a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:48 pm 

The problem happens when you put the halves together and start putting nuts on the studs. It takes a couple minutes to do that and start tightening them, so if the Loctite is not a slow hardening type it can start to harden before you want it to. But checking the clearances never hurts, especially if you think the two halves you're working with may not have been together originally.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:13 pm 

I can't seem to find a slow curing red locktite. Could you give me a lead?

I know that the engine had some issues (like blowing up the center cylinder), so it may be that the cases were damaged. I'll disassemble and check.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:24 pm 

Loctite 620 is what's recommended for this, and only in the tiniest of amounts. It's one of the many green Loctites.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:09 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:57 am 

examples..not!

Excel files not allowed?

cliff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:45 pm 

excel files not allowed?

so a screenshot on one matching numbers case pair

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:50 pm 

So there is a slight negative clearance (kind of like a press fit). That makes perfect sense.

I pulled the engine today. Once I get back into the garage I'll split the cases and check the clearances with plastigage.

It is hot in Houston. Garage time in the afternoon is impossible. Even in the morning it's not pleasant. :) But I will persevere.