Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:22 pm 

I got a free H1! Most of it came in boxes of parts. I have a question about the oil pump. Mine doesn’t have one and all of the banjo bolts on the case have been replaced with regular bolts. Is there a way to tell if the rest of the conversion to a premix bike has been made without tearing the motor down?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:44 pm 

Welcome to the board!

I guess one question is do you really want to get it running and ride it before you take the engine apart and see what state it's in? In many cases you'll damage what you have by skipping that step. How much history about it do you know?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:09 pm 

I don’t know much about it at all. I just want to see if I can get it running now. Planning to start a full rebuild next winter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:42 pm 

I know what you mean, but if you're planning a full rebuild, by far the safest thing to do would be to not try to run it before that. Be ready for having to get the crank rebuilt in the process. If that hasn't been done, you can bet it needs it. The seals between the crankcase chambers are probably not doing any sealing now.

In case you haven't found the resource site: www.kawatriple.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:58 pm 

If they’re not sealing does that mean I can mix up some oil in the gas and it will get to where it’s needed? Is there a way to see if the conversion has been made BEFORE I tear it down?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:18 pm 

If the seals are not doing their job it won't run right, especially at low speed and when trying to start it. It may also hang up at high rpm when you want it to idle. The seals are what keep the three crankcase chambers separate, so when a piston goes down, that chamber is pressurized.

I don't know of any way to know what previous owners have done without actually taking things apart and looking. Ultimately the right thing to do is get the stock oiling system working as it was meant to. Parts may take a little effort to find, but they're out there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:54 pm 

There are only two ways I would ever run an S, KH, H series engine on full premix.

First is to confirm later model crankshaft with slotted

Second, disassemble the crank, remove the oil receivers, swap the rods to slotted types.

But, then, I prefer the 3 line oil pump system, they work well.