Kawi2strokes.com Forum

Enthusiasts from around the world dedicated to the preservation and ritual flogging of the infamous Kawasaki 2-stroke Triples
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:14 pm 

Hello everybody. Im new to H1's. Ive done many other bike restorations and Im having issues with my 75 H1 I just bought. It has been sitting for a decade. It would start and idle and run, but it ran poorly, no power or "hit" through the rpm range. The carbs leak air still after rebuilding them. They are toast. I want to cruch these carbs. I need help with choosing what to replace them with. My H1 has a slight overbore with wiseco pistons, and Denco chambers, 102.5 main jet. Other than that, its all stock. I was thinking of buying new 34mm mukini smoothbore carbs. What adapters and boots do you guys suggest and where can I find them? Niche cycles has them for sale on amazon, and the boots too, but the adapters and ufo slide parts I cant find. Trying to get his done right and I dont want to mess it up. Im at sea level, doing some street riding and hooliganism on Saturday nights lol! Any tips on the jetting baseline would be a huge help! Thanks everybody, Jeff Reeves Venice Florida

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:30 pm 

Hello Jeff, welcome to the board!

I'm not sure how a carb can leak air. Have you tested the crankshaft seals? There's some information about how to do that on the resource site, http://www.kawatriple.com

Also if the exhaust system is getting restrictive due to carbon and gunk buildup you can get problems with power.

What did you do when you rebuilt the carburetors? Did you use a rebuild kit? If you used the jets in one of those kits, you need to take them out and get genuine Mikuni jets of the stock sizes installed before you go any farther. Otherwise you'll be chasing problems forever.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:37 pm 

Hi Jim, thanks for responding. I used the original jets, ultrasonic cleaner, and wire cleaning kit. The throat insert that the alloy manifold on 1 carb is all chewed up, and, when I ultrasonic cleaned the carbs, some of the brass rivet plugs fell out, etc. I only replaced float bowl gaskets, float needle, springs, and carb slide gaskets, etc. These old carbs are just old, and I don't have confidence in them. The bike will fire up IF I put a small squirt directly into the combustion chamber via spark plug hole. Revs to a million, I used the on off switch to regulate rpm till gas was used up. Spark is fine , 160 psi each cylinder, same jets bike had in for years, I just think these carbs are letting air in. I could be wrong, but I'm done fn with them. I want to start fresh. I just bought some denco aluminum 34mm adapters online. Need carbs, correct jets, rubber manifold boots, and air filter pods. The bike is really clean considering someone modded it upmany years ago. So, that's where I'm at. Once it runs great, it gets a total disassemble and redo. I've got a sh** load of new shiny parts in my garage just waiting to get installed and these carbs are delaying everything. So pissed!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:07 pm 

OK, I'm with you... but you didn't mention whether you checked the crank seals.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:38 pm 

I'm having difficulty finding the info on the resource page on crank seal leakage.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:42 pm 

It's under "Restoration and How-To" > "How To Topic Listings > "Crank Seal Test"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:50 am 

Jim wrote:
It's under "Restoration and How-To" > "How To Topic Listings > "Crank Seal Test"

Thanks JIMBO!